A visual guide to sexing new world cichlids

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Would someone mind posting pictures/information on sexing Amphilophus chancho?

Thanks in advance!

GMFISHNUT

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2008
Long Island, NY
Would someone mind posting pictures/information on sexing Amphilophus chancho?

Thanks in advance!
Females are smaller and also have the black in the dorsal. I went through 4 females when i had my large male Chancho! Here are a few pics. Hope this helps.

3-2-09 Chancho Male 4.jpg3-2-09 Chancho Pair 2.jpgChancho male 44.jpgChancho Pair.jpg1-31-09 051 Female Chancho.jpg

As you can see, females were always worse for the wear!!

3-2-09 Chancho Male 4.jpg

3-2-09 Chancho Pair 2.jpg

Chancho male 44.jpg

Chancho Pair.jpg

1-31-09 051 Female Chancho.jpg

Reactions: Done45

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Females are smaller and also have the black in the dorsal. I went through 4 females when i had my large male Chancho! Here are a few pics. Hope this helps.

As you can see, females were always worse for the wear!!
Good looking out, for real! Quick question, does that mean males never have the black in the dorsal?

GMFISHNUT

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2008
Long Island, NY
Good looking out, for real! Quick question, does that mean males never have the black in the dorsal?
I've kept 2 males and neither one did. All 4 females did however. Best way to tell sex is to vent them when they are large enough but if you do see any black blotch in the dorsal it's a pretty safe bet that it's a female.

JDempsey1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hey guys I been a member for a little bit now, not as active as I'd like to be. Can anyone point me in the direction of CA Cichlid profiles ? I would like to try to find out the collection point variations for P. Loiselle. Thanks !! (Sorry if off topic)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store