My new Chinese "Wels"

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Got this guy from Wes Wong last week. Siluris meridionalis. He stays in this corner looking out the french doors most of the time. He currently eats scales and tails but mostly pellets.
IMG_20160330_131237.jpg

Last edited:

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Looking good Roger it's great that he's eating pellets already , now all you've got to do it grow it out to the size of Wednesdays ;)

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Looking good Roger it's great that he's eating pellets already , now all you've got to do it grow it out to the size of Wednesdays ;)
diff. species Evz, i keep the s. glanis... rodger rodger if there anything like their larger cousin your in for a treat as he grows :) . Always active and very personable. Anxious to see what these s. meridionalis max out at. Nice pickup!

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
diff. species Evz, i keep the s. glanis... rodger rodger if there anything like their larger cousin your in for a treat as he grows :) . Always active and very personable. Anxious to see what these s. meridionalis max out at. Nice pickup!
Oh yeah my bad mate its very early morning here I'm still half asleep reading lol , do you have an idea of max out size for this species ? I take it they still get quite big

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Oh yeah my bad mate its very early morning here I'm still half asleep reading lol , do you have an idea of max out size for this species ? I take it they still get quite big
Wes says they reach around 36" on the sale thread.

2016-03-31-02-14-02--439897419.jpg
came across this "record" catch/pic on google...66lbs 59"...so yes still pretty big lol... I think the s. glanis rod-n-reel record is around 265lbs...7-8'.

Goban

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
jakarta
May someone enlighten about the difference of s. Meridionalis and s.glanis as i do not know what exact species my wels cf is. Any help would be much appreciated

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
36" is big enough for aquariums lol , I bet that 265lb glanis put up one he'll of a fight on rod and reel imagine the power of the thing hahaha

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
May someone enlighten about the difference of s. Meridionalis and s.glanis as i do not know what exact species my wels cf is. Any help would be much appreciated
lower jaw seems to protrude more on the chinese wels, whisker placement is also a bit higher on the head of the s. meridionalis. Create your own thread with some pics to help get an i.d.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sweet, Rodger! Please, come back with updates quarterly to biannually, if you will ;)

Why not start your own thread with good pics?

Have you exhausted the available online resources - PCF, ScotCat, FishBase, SeriouslyFish, AquaticCommunity, the latest genus revision articles, and Co.?

PCF states about wels http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?task=&species_id=338 Identification Easily distinguished among silurids by its broad head, truncate caudal fin, mottled coloration and immense size.

BTW, I may be wrong but there is only one wels - glanis - which is why Roger put wels in quotes. Others have their own different common names. Do correct me if I'm wrong, please.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I guess Wels-like would be more accurate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store