Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think it's a pressured water frank as the clubs got quite a few members so if I pre bait a swim chances are someone will be in my spot tomorrow:( , I'll probably spod a load of particle mix out when get there and fish three rods all different baits see what goes first , of course if it's sunny and I can get them on the surface I'll smash it using dog biscuits free lining on one of my rods staking them out and putting it on there noses lol
dog biscuits? LOLWHUT?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Went out last night and fished the river again, but in a different spot, 2 actually......tried a spot I haven't fished for about 15 years and after an hour we decided to move on due to high boat traffic and a crowd of people and no bites. Moved Downstream a bit and fished from about 8pm to midnight or so and my friend got one lousy Channel cat, 20", but faaaaat , probably a 6lb fish. There were about 12-15 other anglers lined up along the bank to night-fish this section for cats, and my friend was the only one who caught anything out of everyone :( I asked around and everyone agreed it was just a very poor night for fishing in general.

On the upside, after crashing at 4am finally, we woke back up a 7am and went back out to our other spot where I had scored the monster Flatheads and Channel 3 weeks ago, and fished from about 8am to 1pm today and I got 4 Flatheads - 2 smaller at 25"L and 27L w/ a 14"Girth, and the 2 larger were 30"L w/ a 18" Girth and 33" w/ a 19.5" Girth, so at least breaking the 10lb and 15lb-barrriers. I also got a really nice adult Channel w/ it's juvenile speckled pattern in the 22"-24" range and also phenomenally faaat, a good 6lb fish.

My friend got 2 smallerish Flatheads in the 25-26" range and 2 Channel cats in the 20" range. No Big boys today, but it WAS a Sunday morning after this hole got hammered by anglers all weekend long, so I can't complain. I was surprised anything was still hungry TBH, and oddly enough,the Flaheads were still hitting at 1pm while the Channels didn't even START until 11am. for some strange reason.

Pix by tomorrow hopefully when my buddy sends them to me.

Also caught about a dozen-and-a-half Hellgrammites for Bass fishing this week, and still have over 3 dozen Creek Chubs left in the live-bait tank for later. :D

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What is a "Chromer"?
I think I agree w/ you, it's a Fallfish. Shiners would look differently and at 6" I say it would be much taller. It lacks the dark stripe of a Chub. Chubs and Fallfish are similar in every way except Max size.

I tried a few spots last weekend I didn't even feel were worth mentioning but since it's been a week and I'm not pissed off anymore, we tried a new spot in the Schuylkill River last Friday and for 3 hours all I got was a little 22" Channel Cat and a couple Chubs and Sucker bit in half we were using as bait. Tried a new lake in a new area the next day and aside from the crowd of a HUNDRED+ people at a place we went to enjoy nature, we got nothing but more baitfish bit in half, and the one Bass I did manage to hook took me deep into Lily pads and I had to snap off. :(

Today we fished the confluence of the lower end of 2 Trout/Smallmouth creeks and is often home to Muskellunge and Pike but all I got was a little 6" Smallie that jumped and spit my hook. My mom caught 2 Yellow Bullheads around 8-10" and my friend got a 16" Channel cat and a Bluegill. Again, aside fromm us 3, there 5 other people fishing from the bank and 2 in a boat. I was amazed that many people were there, but weekends always suck for serious anglers if u can't find a spot away from everyone else. The guys on the boat were doing well, and landed a 12"+ Smallie as they drifted by us and one of the guys fishing next to us got a 12" Largemouth. Not enough fish for 10 people, IMO.
Chromer = Open Water or Fresh Run Steelhead/Rainbow Trout.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
A silver bullet! All day I dream about chrome, and I couldnt give a f less about cars. 2 months till salmon run starting here boys, I'm itching really bad.
Big plank of wood with some rod holders, pair of 9' diver rods and some dipsies, grab yourself an oar and head out on Lake 'O. You'll find Salmon LOL.

But in all honesty, I'm looking forward to the fall runs as well. Hoping to head to New York this year for Lake Ontario trib fishing, supposed to be better than PA's runs plus they've got more and bigger Browns plus Salmon too. Not to mention fall Laker fishing on Erie, wade out in shallow water with a #10 rod and some big streamers, can't wait!

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Caught this one the other day. Unfortunately, it was hooked in the gills. I doubt it survived, so I took a couple of pictures. I use barbless hooks and rarely take them out of the water.
View attachment 1189741
I am interested in what a shad rig looks like from Maine. Mind sharing?

I use a 1/32 oz chartreuse jig with a 1.5" chartreuse grub. About 5' of leader to a three way swivel with some pencil lead to get down. Then cast into the current and swing the jig a few feet above the substrate. Like drift fishing for steelhead.

They are not native here, there is no size limit or bag limit. Landed about 75 in four hours yesterday.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Today I got a 20 1/4" Brown Trout weighed 2lbs 14.5oz., 3 Largemouths, 16" and 17", 2 Smallmouths 15" and 12" and half a dozen of the BIGGEST Green Sunfish I ever seen before - like 11" and they had SHOULDERS.

Anyone ever see a fish with shoulders?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Today I got a 20 1/4" Brown Trout weighed 2lbs 14.5oz., 3 Largemouths, 16" and 17", 2 Smallmouths 15" and 12" and half a dozen of the BIGGEST Green Sunfish I ever seen before - like 11" and they had SHOULDERS.

That's a nice Brown! I was fishing my creek this evening and had, literally, a 29-30" Brownie come up and nose a Muddler Minnow I was stripping, turned away at the last minute. I know where I'll be for the next week!

I love it when Sunnies get bulky like that with the jump ln their head, sometimes they'll even take drag!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012

Pics of brown!!!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I am interested in what a shad rig looks like from Maine. Mind sharing?

I use a 1/32 oz chartreuse jig with a 1.5" chartreuse grub. About 5' of leader to a three way swivel with some pencil lead to get down. Then cast into the current and swing the jig a few feet above the substrate. Like drift fishing for steelhead.

They are not native here, there is no size limit or bag limit. Landed about 75 in four hours yesterday.

Nice catches. What do you do with them? We work hard on the East coast to restore and enhance river herring/shad populations, but the shad are a nuisance over your way:). We gave you striped bass too (at least in CA)!
Some folks smoke shad and eat them. Others fancy the roe. I don't really eat fish, so release everything.
Your set up sounds similar to what I use. Usually use a shad spoon in bright colors (green, pink, red, etc) 3-4' behind a 3/8-1/2oz sinker of some sort. Sometimes other small spoons work well, as do shad darts. It seems one day a certain color or lure is the hot ticket and the next day is something different. Cast across the current or downstream and fish them in the water column. There are some fly fishing guys that have it dialed in to. Some days they do better than hardware, some days not as good.

I also like to use a small jig head with a twisty tail grub. I went shad fishing last Friday and started with the spoon setup. Only caught a few and then switched to the small jig with a 1" chartreuse twister tail and hammered them. I guess I anchored in the right spot because I could fish the jig just to the side of my boat and watch them come up and hit it. Lots of fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store