Catching Cobitis elongata (spotted weather loach)

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Here is another interesting fish we caught on Dniester River, a Spined Loach (also known as Spotted Weather Loach or Dojo Loach). I wasn't sure on scientific name. At first, I thought that it is Cobitis taenia. But now I think that it is Cobitis elongata. These guys get confused with other weather or dojo loaches of the Misgurnus genus (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Migurnus fossilis). But once you see them upclose, you can tell that they are very different. Cobitis taenia and Cobitis elongata have tiny spines that come out behind their gill covers to poke their enemies (me in this case)

Dniester River and ME )))

Our captive Cobitis elongata loach

Close Up of Spotted Weather Loach's Face ))))​

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
They look kind of like horse face loaches, what did you catch them with?
i caught them with this fish trap. they actually look more like dojo loaches than horse loaches in person

DSCN0425.JPG

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Here is another interesting fish we caught on Dniester River, a Spined Loach (also known as Spotted Weather Loach or Dojo Loach). I wasn't sure on scientific name. At first, I thought that it is Cobitis taenia. But now I think that it is Cobitis elongata. These guys get confused with other weather or dojo loaches of the Misgurnus genus (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Migurnus fossilis). But once you see them upclose, you can tell that they are very different. Cobitis taenia and Cobitis elongata have tiny spines that come out behind their gill covers to poke their enemies (me in this case)

Dniester River and ME )))

Our captive Cobitis elongata loach

Close Up of Spotted Weather Loach's Face ))))​

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store