What are these worms in my tank?

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
Soo i have a planted bichir tank i use dirt but i baked it twice before using it to get all the parasites out. Then after a few months ive been noticing thread like white worms in my tanks. They swim in a snake like manner, and ive tried looking it up but didnt find anything. Could you guys help to ID this. And if this is a parasite that could potentially harm my fish or me? Thank you!

Heres a gif of the worm.IMG_1196.GIF IMG_1196.GIF IMG_1196.GIF

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hmm. They are wierd. P predatorkeeper87 knows a bit about these things

Reactions: senegalrb

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
Hmm. They are wierd. P predatorkeeper87 knows a bit about these things
Thanks for the quick response. I even got them when i isolated some aquatic plants To grow outdoors. And saw alot of these critters. Hopefully someone knows what these are. Tho my bichir never had any issues. Eats alot normal swimming around. And checked the poo and everythings great.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks for the quick response. I even got them when i isolated some aquatic plants To grow outdoors. And saw alot of these critters. Hopefully someone knows what these are. Tho my bichir never had any issues. Eats alot normal swimming around. And checked the poo and everythings great.
Might be nematode or other worms that are growing from uneaten food and debris

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe, but that doesnt explain the worms in the tank i have with just the plants.
How long were the plants in alone and when did you get the plants?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
planaria worm. Overfeeding is the cause. completely harmless. reduce feedings, up gravel vacs and they'll gradually disappear.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Detritus worms , planaria worms are flat and round.
YOURE FLAT AND ROUND!
lol yes I suppose you are probably correct but either way are the same in terms of tank health and reasons for being haha.

I've been calling them planaria for so long its locked in my head now haha.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
YOURE FLAT AND ROUND!
lol yes I suppose you are probably correct but either way are the same in terms of tank health and reasons for being haha.

I've been calling them planaria for so long its locked in my head now haha.

How did you know? lol But I agree they both are can appear from over feeding, and other sources.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store