Back for another try, need advice

Oscar123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
S Wales
Its been aong time but im back to have another try, I've kept a Toby puffer in the most recently in the past but donated it to Maidenhead aquatics over 2 years ago. I'm planning to set up a small marine fish only with live rock tank. Hopefully will have the tank tomorrow then I can start the cycle.

The tank is a betta 120 litre with internal filter.
The skimmer I was planing to get is on this link https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/equipment/protein-skimmers/boyu-wg428-nano-sump-skimmer/

This is the UV steriliser
https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/uv-sterilisers/7w/

I plan on getting a dwarf lionfish and maybe a valentini puffer depending after I research it up.. livestock is only a thought atm

One major concern is that this time of will be putting the tank in my bedroom attic, it gets cold.. quite cold. The room most of the time when not occupied is 13C minimum. But over night when I'm asleep I leave the heater on and it's about 20dC in the room. I'll obviously have a heater in the tank but if you see where I'm coming from, will evaporation be a major issue?

Any input, advice criticism is welcome. Thanks for reading

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Anytime the air outside a tank is colder then the water you will get added evaporation. But if you keep it covered with lids of some kind it shouldn't be to big of a problem. It may even make your home more comfortable for you, by adding a little humidity to the air.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
one thing you may want to watch for is "salt creep". You will have to wipe things down a little more often.
I had an outlet behind a saltwater tank get shorted out by salt creep once. If I hadn't been home at the time it could have burned my house down.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Oscar123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
S Wales
Salt creep.. gonna take a look at that.. I think I'm over exaggerating a bit I guess, I'm sure I'll be fine, like you said just keep an eye on salinity. the tank had applied a proper hood and even condensation tray.
Livestock is subject to change, I'll read up on dwarf lionfish again. What do you guys think about the equipment aswell? Would they be okay? Im gonna get that skimmer in the link and maybe this 2nd filter with uv steriliser by APS http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182117643483

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Salt creep.. gonna take a look at that.. I think I'm over exaggerating a bit I guess, I'm sure I'll be fine, like you said just keep an eye on salinity. the tank had applied a proper hood and even condensation tray.
Livestock is subject to change, I'll read up on dwarf lionfish again. What do you guys think about the equipment aswell? Would they be okay? Im gonna get that skimmer in the link and maybe this 2nd filter with uv steriliser by APS http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182117643483
Me personally I would never get an internal filter and I don't know why everyone wants uv sterilizers yes the bad bacteria does but so does a lot of good bacteria and if your worried about parasites just make sure you get your fish from a good lfs

Oscar123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
S Wales
Me personally I would never get an internal filter and I don't know why everyone wants uv sterilizers yes the bad bacteria does but so does a lot of good bacteria and if your worried about parasites just make sure you get your fish from a good lfs
I see where your coming from, as the tank comes with a fairly decent internal filter that's why I thought along with live rock, uvs, and skimmer there shouldn't have to be to much fuss

Oscar123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
S Wales
It's a betta lifespan 120 litre version, it's a trickle filter. I'll get some pictures posted once I get home from work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store