How does everyone deal with traveling (leaving fish alone)

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
What does everyone do when they travel for more than 1-2 months? I am thinking about splitting my year between two countries. But I don't know what to do with fish.

what do you guys do? should i hire some for to visit them for while i am away or try to get fish friendly roommate?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Most people would be mostly concerned about feeding, but most fish can survive 2 month fast. The main concern should be water change. Unless you have an automated water change system or drip system, you're going to need to have someone do it.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Most people would be mostly concerned about feeding, but most fish can survive 2 month fast. The main concern should be water change. Unless you have an automated water change system or drip system, you're going to need to have someone do it.
I am thinking about hiring someone from pet sevice, but the question is : can i trust them with my appartment)))

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I am thinking about hiring someone from pet sevice, but the question is : can i trust them with my appartment)))
Unless someone here lives in your area and have used a specific service, I don't see how anyone can answer that question for you. I think the best you can do is get referrals. Good luck

Reactions: tlindsey

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Each year, I go away for 2 to 4 weeks vacation without feeding. All mouthbrooders and plecos guard eggs for weeks without feeding, so fasting the fish for a few weeks is harmless. The only exception are small fry, which have no reserve and need to be fed more frequently.

One thing I notice is that when I return home from vacation, the water is crystal clear and if I have dead fish, they disappeared with no trace except perhaps discovering the scull bone in WC. Not feeding is better than asking people to feed your fish when you are away because you want to maintain the highest water quality by not feeding rather than to risk pollution by someone feeding. Fish are cold blooded animal and can fast for a long time. You would rather have hungry fish to scavenge dead fish than to be left behind to pollute the water.

Last edited:

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Each year, I go away for 2 to 4 weeks vacation without feeding. All mouthbrooders and plecos guard eggs for weeks without feeding, so fasting the fish for a few weeks is harmless. The only exception are small fry, which have no reserve and need to be fed more frequently.

One thing I notice is that when I return home from vacation, the water is crystal clear and if I have dead fish, they disappeared with no trace except perhaps discovering the scull bone in WC. Not feeding is better than asking people to feed your fish when you are away because you want to maintain the highest water quality by not feeding rather than to risk pollution by someone feeding. Fish are cold blooded animal and can fast for a long time and you would rather have hungry fish to scavenge dead fish to prevent pollution.

good point. but i am thinking about being away for 2-3 months

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
good point. but i am thinking about being away for 2-3 months
I have been away for up to a month a few times with no problem, but never 2-3 months. I know koi keepers don't feed their fish for 3-4 winter months in the north, so temperate fish can tolerate fasting for a long time. Tropical snake only need to be fed a few times a year, but I don't know about tropical fish. But even if they can survive fasting for 2-3 months, you need someone to replace evaporated water and take care of the filters. My concern going away is dropping water level. My filters stop working if the water level drops to certain point, particularly in winter months when the heat is on and evaporation rate is fast.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; I started keeping fish when around eleven or twelve years old back around 1959. There have been a few phases of my life during which I did not keep any fish or was down to one small tank. Not sure how many fish you have or what size, so do not know what will be left behind. My initial thinking is that this may be a fishless time of your life and you should get rid of the fish you have in a humane manner.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
I have been away for up to a month a few times with no problem, but never 2-3 months. I know koi keepers don't feed their fish for 3-4 winter months in the north, so temperate fish can tolerate fasting for a long time. Tropical snake only need to be fed a few times a year, but I don't know about tropical fish. But even if they can survive fasting for 2-3 months, you need someone to replace evaporated water and take care of the filters. My concern going away is dropping water level. My filters stop working if the water level drops to certain point, particularly in winter months when the heat is on and evaporation rate is fast.
leaving them alone for 3 months is clearly not an option. so i am thinking either getting a roommate or paying someone. but it's an idea right now

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
leaving them alone for 3 months is clearly not an option. so i am thinking either getting a roommate or paying someone. but it's an idea right now
Longshot but what about the landlord/owner? They usually already have access to your dwelling anyhow so perhaps you could work something out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store