Water suddenly cloudy

Zbosco13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
So I've had my 125 up and running for a bit over a year, water has been crystal clear up until the last week or so when it suddenly became cloudy and greenish, and looking for a little direction on how to clear it back up. This started about a week ago and seems to be getting worse with some improvement on water change but it clouds back up in a day or two. Started last week.

Details:

Tank is filtered by an FX-6 and Fluval 406, turning over approx 1300 GPH between the two.

Stocked with 8" marbled motoro, 4" geo, 4" discus, 5" Flagtail
Java Fern, Amazon sword

Only things that have changed in the last 1-2 weeks, both happened about the same time, shortly before water became cloudy. one of my heaters malfunctioned and bumped the temp from its normal 79-80 up to 89 for about two days. I also added a little aquaponics project, growing a couple basil plants in a modified utensil rack.

For reference I included a pic of the cloudiness today looking into the end of the tank vs a pic I snapped about a month that ago.

If anyone has a solution for this sudded clouding that doesn't involve moving the fish, or any non ray-safe chemicals, I would greatly appreciate your input.

IMG_20170213_221940917.jpg

IMG_20170111_074947871.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Possible algae bloom.

Did you add additional lighting for the basil plants?

Zbosco13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
Possible algae bloom.

Did you add additional lighting for the basil plants?
Nope, lighting is same as it has always been. I have had a lot less algae on the glass since i added the flagtail about 1 month ago, barely scrape any during WC now, although not sure if the plants may be adding something to the water to cause the change.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Nope, lighting is same as it has always been. I have had a lot less algae on the glass since i added the flagtail about 1 month ago, barely scrape any during WC now, although not sure if the plants may be adding something to the water to cause the change.
So, that room sounds like it gets a lot of natural lighting...especially giving the fact that basils needs strong lighting. Its a theory, but perhaps the algae that was growing in the tank was keeping the free floating algae at bay, by outcompeting for the same nutrients. But as the flagtail decimated the types of algae from the glass/décor/equipment, the free floating got the chance to take over.......resulting in cloudy, green water

magnificent

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Lots of companies make a clarifier solution to clear up cloudy water. I am sure you can find it in the stores.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Lots of companies make a clarifier solution to clear up cloudy water. I am sure you can find it in the stores.
I would advise against using chemicals to resolve this issue. Its best to fix the issue at its root cause, rather than getting a quick fix that masks over an issue/problem. Chemicals such as clarifiers, while claiming to be fish safe, may compromise the health and longevity of your fish.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If it is free floating algae or little microorganisms a UV sterilizer should help a bit. See if you can find one on sale.
Or if it is an algae bloom, simply reduce lighting or add more plants, such as pothos, to compete for the nutrients

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It sounds like a bloom, likely algae but except for the color, perhaps bacterial. (I'm color blind and brown and green look interchangeable, so I might mistake bacterial blooms for algae.) In either case, something is creating the resource for accelerated growth.

Drastically reduce the lighting and if that fixes the issue it was likely algae. Then, you'll have to work out a better plant, nutrient and lighting management system. A properly sized UV, run even intermittently will also do wonders for algae.

If reduced lighting has no effect, then it's potentially bacterial. Reduce feeding and let the tank runs it's course. In the future reduce feeding or change the foods. Bacterial blooms are often caused by uneaten food left in the tank.

I advise against chemicals (agree with Xraycer.) Sudden blooms have an underlying cause that needs to be fixed, not hidden with a chemical.

Zbosco13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
Ok, I think I'll pick up the UV first, been considering getting one for a while. Seems unlikely that it's uneaten food, with only 3 fish there's a pretty tiny amount of food added and they do a good job cleaning everything up, and what they miss the ray gets. The other thing that has changed is that we are now getting a lot more natural light over the last week or two as old man winter starts to relent. That would lend some credence tot he algae bloom theory as eell

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store