How to convince parents to get another aquarium

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yup. You want to preserve as much beneficial bacteria as possible. I only replace cartridges when the filter floss is actually falling apart or when I have an extra filter running, that way I have one that I can keep the cycle going on.

If you have water quality issues after changing them it's probably a mini cycle.

Reactions: Grinch and imabot

MPWaller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
I have no water problems after, I change it because goldfish are HUGE waste producers, and I have one in a TEN GALLON... Plus I change it fast.

I am making a new thread on how to convince MY parents to let me get a better fish tank for my goldfish.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Ummmmm... So your saying that I, should, rinse, my old dirty cartridge, in the water that it got dirty from...
Yes. Using tank-water helps to ensure you don't kill the bacteria on the filter. This is just one way to maintain a biological filter. You can also swap out cartridges as they get loaded up with debris, just be sure to have something else in the tank that has lots of surface area for bacteria to grow.

MPWaller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2017
I never clean my tank completely anymore and I don't have a bio-wheel or bio-ball filter, so do I still need to swish my cartridges.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I never clean my tank completely anymore and I don't have a bio-wheel or bio-ball filter, so do I still need to swish my cartridges.
Do you NEED to? No. Can it be useful and save you some money? Yes.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
The cats watch this tank and bichir-girl feeds it... I pay very little attention to it unless I'm told there is a problem. In looking at it today, the fish are bigger than I thought they were AND I discovered a 6th goldfish in the tank. Bichir-girl has subsequently confessed to adding another fish and is mortified I posted pictures of her cat's tank without cleaning the algae on the glass. So yes, I think we're about due for a tank upgrade or a fish reduction. Let the fight with Bichir-girl commence! LOL
So, here is how this went down:

Grinch: Your goldfish are too big, time to thin the herd
Bichir Girl: Um, no.
Grinch: Then they need a bigger tank.
Bichir Girl: I don't want to take care of a bigger tank.
Grinch: Then get rid of some fish.
Bichir Girl: What tanks do we have in the shed?
Grinch: That would be an upgrade on a 29? 75g and you'll have to lose a chair from the front room.
Bichir Girl: What would fit?
Grinch: This 60 gallon on craigslist. Asking $100, says he'll go $85 if I pick it up tomorrow.
Bichir Girl: Are we going to need to put more money into it after that?
Grinch: Only if it leaks.
Bichir Girl: OK.

What can we learn from this to help the OP? Have a plan in place when you start the battle. She understood that there was a problem and I had the solution ready to go. She would have said no if I didn't make it clear to her that she was boxed in on her options and I have a plan fully developed and ready to go (I arranged everything with the seller prior to talking to her) such that she won't need to put any additional thought into it. $60 later, we have a new 60g goldfish tank (provided it passes a leak test):

20170615_200301.jpg

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
There are 32 dollar for 29 gallons aqueon aquariums at a nearby petsmart. Are aqueons reliable? Any SUPER easy diy stand ideas? We have no power tools and my family doesn't like doing diy stuff.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
A sturdy dresser can support a 29 gallon. Cheap at good will if you don't have one.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
How do I make sure it's sturdy? And what about making a stand this way

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store