New Fish Suggestions?

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hello,

I am looking to add a unique fish to an existing tank (in memory of a passed relative). Would love some recommendations. Would prefer a single fish, but am open to suggestions that involve pairs or schools. Thank you!

Tanks specs:
- 125 gallon (70x18)
- semi heavily planted
- PFS substrate
- high PH (~8) with hard water, but am able to lower with RO water if needed
- temp=80 but current stocking can handle 76-83
- current stocking 1 Fire Eel (12"), 12 Sterbai Cories, schools of Cardinal and Lemon tetras, 2 Dwarf Blue Gourami, 2 Dwarf Fire Gourami, 6 Denison Barbs, 2 Angelfish. All fish open to relocation except Fire Eel and Denison Barbs.

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Ever look into discus? Definitely have bring the ph down but would go good with the angles

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Most (large) cichlid species will tear your planted tank apart or required bigger tank even you only aim to keep 1 in your tank.
If you want single species community then get a shoal of Exodons, these mini monster will do good in planted tank but they will kill denison barb. Anyway, you will need a bigger tank if you want to keep that fire eels for life though.

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Ever look into discus? Definitely have bring the ph down but would go good with the angles
Thanks for the suggestion. This tank actually started out with Discus, but I moved them and converted it. I have 12 discus elsewhere so it wouldn't be as unique as I need. :(

Revan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Most (large) cichlid species will tear your planted tank apart or required bigger tank even you only aim to keep 1 in your tank.
If you want single species community then get a shoal of Exodons, these mini monster will do good in planted tank but they will kill denison barb. Anyway, you will need a bigger tank if you want to keep that fire eels for life though.
Thanks Yuki. I've never seen these before. You think they'd kill the barbs though? Seems they eat bigger fish scales.

And yes the Fire Eel will be getting a bigger tank when he gets too big for this tank.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Thanks Yuki. I've never seen these before. You think they'd kill the barbs though? Seems they eat bigger fish scales.
Correct, they are fish eating scale but they will eat any fish alive hint Exodons nickname is mini Piranha :) they kill and eat young Piranha in the wild and they are become snack for mature Piranha....Nature balance :p

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Exodons would be cool as a species tank. I wouldn't try to keep them with anything else though. Watching a feeding frenzy with these is a true spectacle.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Get a shodenti puffer. They are pricy but stay small and are community friendly. Plus, they have a lot of personality and will help you remember your relative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store