About my Dinosaur Bichir

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
So I've had my bichir since I was 10 (I'm16 now) and I'm sure I'm caring for him very wrong. I got him from oetsmart along with a bunch of other fish and they just handed him/her to me and told me to just feed him bloodworms every other day. And so I did as he/she got bigger, he/she started eating all of the fish in my tank except my silver dollar. My silver dollar has passed and now he's/she's the only one in a bare tank with rocks and disgusting environment that I just can't clean. What's recommended for him/her because I want to keep him/her happy and healthy.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's likely a senegalus from petsmart. Will likely get 8-10 inches but will take some years.

Will take most pellets and other sinking pellets without any problem. Bloodworms are an ok snack but shouldn't be a maintenance food. Will eat fish that can fit in its mouth.

Make sure the water is clean in a cycled tank. No need specific water conditions needed.

How big is the tank? Also post in the Jurassic section and there'll be some bichir memebers to help you.

Welcome to the forum.

Maeghan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
It's likely a senegalus from petsmart. Will likely get 8-10 inches but will take some years.

Will take most pellets and other sinking pellets without any problem. Bloodworms are an ok snack but shouldn't be a maintenance food. Will eat fish that can fit in its mouth.

Make sure the water is clean in a cycled tank. No need specific water conditions needed.

How big is the tank? Also post in the Jurassic section and there'll be some bichir memebers to help you.

Welcome to the forum.
I believe it's a 55 gallon? I honestly can't remember I was just excited to have the fish and Emmy mom just bought me a tank that was big enough to support all fish. I'm going to try buying a long shallow tank in the feature because I saw on an article that bichirs like shallow water.

Reactions: kno4te

bobtheslob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
New Jersey
I am keeping 2 bichirs currently so I think I can give you some advice. Do 20-50% water changes weekly and stop feeding blood worms so often. Blood worms are high in protein and will pollute your water. I feed my 2 bichirs Hikari Carnivore pellets. I hope this helps, good luck! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store