Water changes/auto drip

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What do you guys who have larger tanks (300+gals) do for water changes ?

I drain with a spare pump and it only takes about 8 minutes but refilling takes almost an hour and a half.

I was thinking about putting in a drip system but im not so sure its the right thing to do.

It would have to drain into my sump pit. No sewage drains in my area. My fear is what if the sump pit pump ever fails....i would have a huge mess on my hands and a very less than happy wife.

Thoughts ?

Reactions: aquaremo

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
What do you guys who have larger tanks (300+gals) do for water changes ?

I drain with a spare pump and it only takes about 8 minutes but refilling takes almost an hour and a half.

I was thinking about putting in a drip system but im not so sure its the right thing to do.

It would have to drain into my sump pit. No sewage drains in my area. My fear is what if the sump pit pump ever fails....i would have a huge mess on my hands and a very less than happy wife.

Thoughts ?

They make battery backup pumps for this sceario for around $150-$200 or for during a power outtage... are you on a septic system? I have 12 systems on autodrip and dump 35gph 24hrs a day into a sump crock as ur proposing and shoot the water 100' outside my house into a storm drain(not sewage drain)via underground pipe i put in. Before that i just shot the water onto my front lawn. Got tired of cutting 2' tall grass tho and tapped into a cement storm drain lol..There is also a main floor drain in my basement next to the sump basin. I keep it plugged off unless the power goes out. When my power goes out my basement immediatly floods from all my tanks/sumps dumping at once so i pull the plugg and the water drains into the septic system when the sump overflows (again when this happens im dumping 200-300gal at once and its not comparable to just 1 tank as u have). My septic can only handle 500gal a day which is y i dont use it for the drip drains unless its an emergency as im using 800-1kgal a day. if ur only doing 1 tank ur septic system should b able to handle the 3-4gph ud need no prob. Where does ur sump pump pump water too? Are there storm ditches in ur area? Can always make a leech bed outside for the water also with lillies/plants to soak it up. I did that for a while until i kept adding more tanks on autodrip. 35gph is alot to manage but im sure thats excessive compared to most people and 3-4gph for one tank is very managable imo. if ur sump pump already goes into a storm drain ur halfway there. if it goes into ur yard just might have to extend it further from ur house or anywhere downhill or put in an outdoor pond ;) . Only problem ive had so far is during power out but i could really care less with a floor drain right next to the sump crock lol(my sump and floor drain are located at the lowest point in my basement so only a 3-5' area gets wet)...also blew out my 1st sump pump after 6 yrs but again im using 10x the water ud need and it pumps out every 3-5min or so 24hrs a day.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
What exactly is a sump pit? How about draining outside grass area?
Im on septic so no sewage drains
I use the spare pump to drain out of a window (basememt) onto the lawn but im thinking of getting another 300 gal amd wanted to minimize wc's

They make battery backup pumps for this sceario for around $150-$200 or for during a power outtage... are you on a septic system? I have 12 systems on autodrip and dump 35gph 24hrs a day into a sump crock as ur proposing and shoot the water 100' outside my house into a storm drain(not sewage drain)via underground pipe i put in. Before that i just shot the water onto my front lawn. Got tired of cutting 2' tall grass tho and tapped into a cement storm drain lol..There is also a main floor drain in my basement next to the sump basin. I keep it plugged off unless the power goes out. When my power goes out my basement immediatly floods from all my tanks/sumps dumping at once so i pull the plugg and the water drains into the septic system when the sump overflows (again when this happens im dumping 200-300gal at once and its not comparable to just 1 tank as u have). My septic can only handle 500gal a day which is y i dont use it for the drip drains unless its an emergency as im using 800-1kgal a day. if ur only doing 1 tank ur septic system should b able to handle the 3-4gph ud need no prob. Where does ur sump pump pump water too? Are there storm ditches in ur area? Can always make a leech bed outside for the water also with lillies/plants to soak it up. I did that for a while until i kept adding more tanks on autodrip. 35gph is alot to manage but im sure thats excessive compared to most people and 3-4gph for one tank is very managable imo. if ur sump pump already goes into a storm drain ur halfway there. if it goes into ur yard just might have to extend it further from ur house or anywhere downhill or put in an outdoor pond ;) . Only problem ive had so far is during power out but i could really care less with a floor drain right next to the sump crock lol(my sump and floor drain are located at the lowest point in my basement so only a 3-5' area gets wet)...also blew out my 1st sump pump after 6 yrs but again im using 10x the water ud need and it pumps out every 3-5min or so 24hrs a day.
Wow this gives me hope lol

Right now i have a whole home water filtration system that backwashes into the sump pit. I gor tired od the mud in the yard so i had the drain ran out to the culvert/storm drain thats infront of my house. So yeah im halfway there. Its a finished basement and i dont have any back up drains run to my septic.

Having a back up pump and or battery powered pump on standby makes alllot of sense.

Still nervous that at some point the pump will fail and i'll have a flood on my hands.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
In my old house I have a drain but it's a dry. It doesn't connect to the sewer system of the house and each time I do water change (300 gal). It never clogs and I know it just a hole draining to the ground. This might solve ur last issue if all fails.. ( battery backup) draining directly into ground. Down side is u have a drill deep into ground n see if it 1st draining than start ur drip.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Im on septic so no sewage drains
I use the spare pump to drain out of a window (basememt) onto the lawn but im thinking of getting another 300 gal amd wanted to minimize wc's

Wow this gives me hope lol

Right now i have a whole home water filtration system that backwashes into the sump pit. I gor tired od the mud in the yard so i had the drain ran out to the culvert/storm drain thats infront of my house. So yeah im halfway there. Its a finished basement and i dont have any back up drains run to my septic.

Having a back up pump and or battery powered pump on standby makes alllot of sense.

Still nervous that at some point the pump will fail and i'll have a flood on my hands.

Sounds like ur good to go then...hardest part for me was digging and tapping into the storm drain 100' from my house. i pretty much kept extending the output 10-20' a year for a few years. Finally got it connected this spring and its been beautiful to cut the grass "normal" lol. Im due for a battery backup setup aswell. I wouldnt worry of that ever failing as thats what there made for. Just have to put in a "T" and another check valve in the sump line. The kits include an additional pump, battery and acid and what not to refill the battery when needed. If ur overly worried u can always keep a battery tender plugged into the emergency battery to ensure its always charged for when u need it. Once installed theres no headaches or hassle as everythings plumbed in and ready to fire up on its own when needed.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Sounds like ur good to go then...hardest part for me was digging and tapping into the storm drain 100' from my house. i pretty much kept extending the output 10-20' a year for a few years. Finally got it connected this spring and its been beautiful to cut the grass "normal" lol. Im due for a battery backup setup aswell. I wouldnt worry of that ever failing as thats what there made for. Just have to put in a "T" and another check valve in the sump line. The kits include an additional pump, battery and acid and what not to refill the battery when needed. If ur overly worried u can always keep a battery tender plugged into the emergency battery to ensure its always charged for when u need it. Once installed theres no headaches or hassle as everythings plumbed in and ready to fire up on its own when needed.
Thx allot bro i have some homework to do. Lol need to look into drip systems

Reactions: wednesday13

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Can anyone tell me where they got there system. Tried googling it bit all i get is diy stuff..also how do you know how much to drip ?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I just turn on a little bit of my fruacet above tank to and dripping it directly into my tank. I did a calculation months ago and I say it's about 30-40 gpd. I do not use any filter to filterate my drip. All fish were fine.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA

I think that is a great video and what I am going to follow. The only thing I plan to do differently is getting a filter to take out heavy metals, chlorine, etc instead of just using carbon.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store