Next Poly?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I think they should be fine. It's normal stuff bgk do. I'm suprised the sun cat can get him to move. I don't think the bgk can/will cause any real damage to the polys and they shouldn't bother him really either.
I'll keep him in the 210 then.

I plan to move the peaceful fish into the new tank, as the Mota is starting to nip fins again, and in a few instances remove scales. Nothing serious, just normal cichlid fighting, but I would like to keep the Mota with fish that are similar in size and aggressiveness. The more fish I can keep in the 210 the better, as a little over half my fish would be moved over. The Angels, BP, Acaras, Balas, and Severums would benefit from the peaceful com the most, although I would also move the Firemouths, GT, and a couple others so they don't run into issues with the more aggressive fish I plan to stock in the 210.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Bgk won't cause any real problems for polys. There are some tail nipping with lower jaws polys and bgk. This is the size issue and continued close contact/interaction b/w the two.

Lower jaws will grow too fast for bgk which have a varied but slow growth. Bgks are cb now so it's hard to find them in big sizes. Saw one 12inches and was maybe 2-2.5 y ago. It was expensive but an impressive fish. Would have gotten myself if I had the space.

But a few members have large and fully grown bgk with lower jaws and no issues. Once large they won't be bullied and not looked at as food.

They are good with upper jaws when small but if grown out to a good size then fine with lower jaws.
He's roughly 10-14" now. Hopefully 18" by the time I get any good sized LJs.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I guess here in the bay area people like to get big tanks but dont have patients to maintain the tank.
The reason I said I wasn't paying $180 for a 75 is because I could easily get one for $50-100. $500 for a 75 is way overpriced. That's what I'd buy one new for down here.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
The heaters are set to 72, but the tank is at 75-76 because my dad insulated the sump. The heaters don't come on very often with how slowly the tank loses heat. Another tank the same size as the 210 added to the system would theoretically double how many times the heaters turn on, but it shouldn't make too big difference considering how little they turn on in the first place.

J jaws7777 Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 kno4te kno4te magpie magpie Troy1015 Troy1015 twentyleagues twentyleagues clm08k clm08k
I spoke with the seller, and he finally gave me the dimensions of the tank. It turned out to be a 5x1x2, which is a 75, rather than a 280. I decided not to get the tank, as $180 is steep for a 75 considering the other deals on cl. After I told the seller that I was no longer interested in the tank, my dad told me that he didn't want me to look for tanks yet. I think that worked out well, because if I forced my dad into a cl meet up that he wasn't ready for, he would likely scrap the idea of a new tank.

I'm a little upset with myself for contacting the guy with the 280, because now I don't want anything smaller than the 210... At least I can blame my dad when he learns how large of a tank I want. He taught me the "never settle/always get the biggest and best" mindset.

If anyone finds a tank for sale in Ga, or even the neighboring states, above 200 gallons please pm me. As happy as J jaws7777 and Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 would be to take my Sens, I'd rather it not come to that.
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Yeah I agree that the 75 for $180 is a little overpriced. For that amount could always do the dollar per gal sale at petco and then build the setup you want.

here in the part of Florida I'm in, people on Craigslist sell USED 10 gal set ups for $60. Definitely feel you on not wanting to pay a lot. I see 75 gal for $300 all the time. I have a feeling you might not find a 210-280 for anything less than $500. Will let you know if I find anything. Of course, I'm not the authority on pricing tanks, but based off of what I've seen on craigslist in Florida, I think you are looking at at least $700 for the tank and stand.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Yeah I agree that the 75 for $180 is a little overpriced. For that amount could always do the dollar per gal sale at petco and then build the setup you want.

here in the part of Florida I'm in, people on Craigslist sell USED 10 gal set ups for $60. Definitely feel you on not wanting to pay a lot. I see 75 gal for $300 all the time. I have a feeling you might not find a 210-280 for anything less than $500. Will let you know if I find anything. Of course, I'm not the authority on pricing tanks, but based off of what I've seen on craigslist in Florida, I think you are looking at at least $700 for the tank and stand.
Actually I found a 430 for $500, I won't say where though as I don't want anyone beating me to it. Hopefully the post will still be up for a few months to get me time to save for it.

clm08k clm08k kno4te kno4te Could you help me out and pm me if you see any good deals down in Fl? If I get my dad in a good mood and give him a large enough bribe I may be able to go as far as Miami.

Last edited:
Reactions: clm08k

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I may need to start the Pennies for Polys gofundme that a few members were talking about a while ago to get the 430 gallon on cl.

That or if someone wants to outdo Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 (He bought a Koliba and Teugelsi for me and refused to let me pay him back), they can buy the tank for me :)

Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 You may need to up your game. You might have competition for most generous forum member soon.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Actually I found a 430 for $500, I won't say where though as I don't want anyone beating me to it. Hopefully the post will still be up for a few months to get me time to save for it.

clm08k clm08k kno4te kno4te Could you help me out and pm me if you see any good deals down in Fl? If I get my dad in a good mood and give him a large enough bribe I may be able to go as far as Miami.
I'll keep an eye out. Always looking for a new tank for myself. Not sure why cause my wife will not let me have it, no space....lol.

Look in the pentair tubs with a window. They aren't too bad price wise and will get a lot of real estate for the money.

Either that or diy plywood tank would be another option.

Florida....all the tanks I've come across need to be resealed or cracked. Acrylic needs buffering or should be a sump. Despite all these flaws the prices are way high. Similar to a new system.

There's a local guy im following that does acrylic tanks and a fare price but local pick up.

Till I get divorced I guess....;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store