What is your biggest pet peeve about your LFS?

The camaro show

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2017
How does that even work? You take your kid in to buy a group of neon tetras and they tell you aren't spending enough?
They will show you a bunch of food and sell you dr tims (it is very good I swear by it) and stuff of that sort the place is very high end and in a extremely rich area they have people walk in with a 1k fish order for saltwater in one trip and not blink a eye at it

Reactions: AquaAlex1993

The camaro show

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2017
How does that even work? You take your kid in to buy a group of neon tetras and they tell you aren't spending enough?
They will show you a bunch of food and sell you dr tims (it is very good I swear by it) and stuff of that sort the place is very high end and in a extremely rich area they have people walk in with a 1k fish order for saltwater in one trip and not blink a eye at it

A

AquaAlex1993

My biggest complaint about my (and most) LFS are dead fish in the tanks. The vast majority of LFS run on a central filtration system since it is easier and cheaper for them so when something like an illness or poor water quality from dead fish happens in one tank then it spreads to every tank on that filtration system.

It wouldn't take 5 minutes for most shop owners or worker to walk the tanks each morning to make sure there are no dead fish. Even though these days I get 90% of my fish from my fellow club members I still will grab a fish at the LFS if it is one that is a species I have been looking for, but if there are dead fish in tanks then I usually leave without buying anything.
I hate seeing this too. It makes me think bad of the fish store when I see this. It makes the owner and employees look lazy. But, lucky for me the other stores with centralize systems are petco and petsmart to my knowledge. My fish stores School of Fish,INC, Fish Frenzy Tropical Fish, and Dave's Pet City all use Aqueon HOB filters and or sponge filters.

High prices they cater to the rich and is a hour away to me and if you spend less then about $125 on your order they get kinda mad and try to get you to spend more[/QUOTE]
VERY BAD business model! They are suppose to accommodate ANY AND ALL customers no matter how rich or what they buy. If they continue this way, I won't be shocked if they close.

biggest pet peeve is that they are closed on weekends.. have to drive 1hour on weekends..
. on a side note.the owner of the not so local fish store is real cool :)
Why the hell are they closed on the weekends?? Makes no sense. You would think most hobbyists go to the fish store the most often during the weekend, their losing big chunks of money not doing that. Their missing out.

Yea, saltwater fish can add up!! A Hawaiian dragon moray eel is about 700 dollars average.
Most of the cool fish are in the hundreds range.

The camaro show

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2017
no wet pets and you get what you pay for, Ill drop about $200-$300 on a trip up and im very happy I avg one lost fish every 4 visits and i will go up maybe every 2 months, now when i say i have a 5k setup you will believe me. They have done tanks for alot of the steelers and pirates.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I get about $200 a year on tanks.... If that...

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
no wet pets and you get what you pay for, Ill drop about $200-$300 on a trip up and im very happy I avg one lost fish every 4 visits and i will go up maybe every 2 months, now when i say i have a 5k setup you will believe me. They have done tanks for alot of the steelers and pirates.
I'm curious how you can spend that much money stocking a 90 gallon with the frequency in which you visit?
As far as getting what you pay for,unless buying an f1 fish with location details,a cardinal tetra is a cardinal tetra is it not?
It all sounds a little pretentious to me.
Value for money and quality are a hell of a lot more appealing in my eyes.
I also feel that loosing fish every fourth visit, especially as you are a regular is pretty crap,not a suggestion of quality.
This scenario reminds me of an old Oscar wilde quote.
"He knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
Must be the working class in me but the shop sounds horrible. Or at least your interpretation of it does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store