What is your biggest pet peeve about your LFS?

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Mine is a little expensive on dry goods. I picked up a few things for my new snakes and found that one heat pad I bought for $40 was $20 on Amazon. I'm all for spending a little more to support your lfs but geez...

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
My LFS nightmare story.
In my saltwater days I had a full 150 gallon reef tank. I'm talking 1000 bucks worth of real fugi rock. 6 or 7 hundred buck in fish. Probably 1000 or more in corals and inverts.
Wake up one morning and the bottom seal had let go in the middle of the night. So I panicked started getting tubs out trash cans hell even my wife's Tupperware. I have no other tanks no way of keeping anything going for long.
So I called the closest saltwater LFS near me. Still 45 min drive one way.
I was like I just don't want the animals to die.
Fish, coral, inverts. I was just going to throw the rock in couple trash cans with an air stone.
The owner which I bought a lot of this stuff from to start with. Says hey, just bring it all I will help you out. I will pay you for everything. Even the stone.
So I pack it up, get there he's busy, so he says just start putting the rock in what ever tank you want . Put this fish here put that there. The whole thing literally took me 4 hours to do.
I get finished he hands me 100 bucks! I'm like WTF dude! He says if I don't like that get my stuff back out of his tanks! At that point I couldn't even tell which rock had been mine or his!
So lost my tank, lost my living room floor lost a days pay cause I had to miss work.
But in the end he lost his business and they closed! But he screwed me good. And I told anybody that would listen!

The store near me now is great it's literally at the end of my street I can walk there and the folks are great people. They don't have a lot of livestock but will order anything I want.
I been out of work for two weeks now with shoulder surgery and the guy at the LFS came and did tank maintenance for me! For free.
Best place ever.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My LFS nightmare story.
In my saltwater days I had a full 150 gallon reef tank. I'm talking 1000 bucks worth of real fugi rock. 6 or 7 hundred buck in fish. Probably 1000 or more in corals and inverts.
Wake up one morning and the bottom seal had let go in the middle of the night. So I panicked started getting tubs out trash cans hell even my wife's Tupperware. I have no other tanks no way of keeping anything going for long.
Fish, coral, inverts. I was just going to throw the rock in couple trash cans with an air stone.
The owner which I bought a lot of this stuff from to start with. Says hey, just bring it all I will help you out. I will pay you for everything. Even the stone.
So I pack it up, get there he's busy, so he says just start putting the rock in what ever tank you want . Put this fish here put that there. The whole thing literally took me 4 hours to do.
I get finished he hands me 100 bucks! I'm like WTF dude! He says if I don't like that get my stuff back out of his tanks! At that point I couldn't even tell which rock had been mine or his!
So lost my tank, lost my living room floor lost a days pay cause I had to miss work.
But in the end he lost his business and they closed! But he screwed me good. And I told anybody that would listen!

The store near me now is great it's literally at the end of my street I can walk there and the folks are great people. They don't have a lot of livestock but will order anything I want.
I been out of work for two weeks now with shoulder surgery and the guy at the LFS came and did tank maintenance for me! For free.
Best place ever.
That's horrible.....now,tell us how that skunk lost his business.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Dirty dealing is my guess. But probably like most small businesses he just couldn't make it work.
He was a punk his mom paid for his business she was a nice lady but her son was a jack***!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Dirty dealing is my guess. But probably like most small businesses he just couldn't make it work.
He was a punk his mom paid for his business she was a nice lady but her son was a jack***!
Oh...I was under the impression that you had something to do with it.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I told everyone about how he did me! Lol but I doubt that had anything to do with it

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
My LFS is the only crack, err i mean cricket dealer in town, and they know it, 1.70 a dozen for large. the owner use to have a old gal working there and place was going to pot. she has sense taken back over and works there every day and place has really gotten allot better. She knows her stuff and will not sell to folks that have no ideal what they are getting into, Case in point I left them a 14" jag to sell. took almost 7 months to sell because she would not sell to some one that did not know what they where, how to take care of and house it.

Reactions: J. H. and BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
That's how my LFS is now. It's really a pet store they a little of everything. But if someone comes in to buy an animal and they can tell that the person doesn't have the ability to properly care for an animal they won't sell to them.
It's nice to see a place that cares about more then making a dollar.

A

AquaAlex1993

My LFS nightmare story.
Response number 1 below
Best place ever.
1.) WOW!!!!!! Thank god that store shut down and closed. He sounds like a complete crook. What a douche... He kept you there waiting for 4 hours, did not offer you something to eat or drink (although it's not a requirement, but a normal human would do that, I would), and threw your livestock where ever he wanted. I would have been honest and up front and said is $100 up front good, then work with you. It sounds like he was all about the money. Bet, he made a huge profit from them, ****ing douche.
2.) That's awesome! :)

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store