What is your biggest pet peeve about your LFS?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Try returning that China led that you ordered from China, when it breaks down after 3 weeks. Bet you'll have better luck returning it at the LFS.
well... i have been using 2 for about 2 yrs and bought another 1 that i used about half a year... so far so good....

What is the warranty given by your LFS on hardware?

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
well... i have been using 2 for about 2 yrs and bought another 1 that i used about half a year... so far so good....

What is the warranty given by your LFS on hardware?
Really depends on the hardware, but can range anywhere from 1 to 4 years (if extended warranty is purchased).

My point being, if (and when) the hardware breaks down, my LFS is a 10 minute drive away. If something I order from China breaks down (and it has), my options are to find some way to traverse the massive language barrier (and yes, this is a thing) and spend a ton of time trying to get an exchange/refund, deal with shipping, wait weeks, etc, OR, eat the cost and buy new hardware to replace the faulty stuff.

Maybe not everyone has had that type of experience, but my luck with equipment isn't always the best. :D

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I personally have found my Chinese hardware to be of similar, if not the same, quality as the "LFS brands" which are most likely also made in china. (with some exceptions like eheim/jager)
Certainly a much better value. My sunsun 404b was 80$ shipped, compare that to a 3-400$ fx6 which does about the same GPH. I could get three sunsun's and still have spent less than one fx5.
Mine has been running for over a year now and is much quieter as well as easier to clean/maintain than the fx5 I had previously.
Yay china

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

I personally have found my Chinese hardware to be of similar, if not the same, quality as the "LFS brands" which are most likely also made in china. (with some exceptions like eheim/jager)
Certainly a much better value. My sunsun 404b was 80$ shipped, compare that to a 3-400$ fx6 which does about the same GPH. I could get three sunsun's and still have spent less than one fx5.
Mine has been running for over a year now and is much quieter as well as easier to clean/maintain than the fx5 I had previously.
Yay china
Yea, I have heard the sun sun filters are actually great quality.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Really depends on the hardware, but can range anywhere from 1 to 4 years (if extended warranty is purchased).

My point being, if (and when) the hardware breaks down, my LFS is a 10 minute drive away. If something I order from China breaks down (and it has), my options are to find some way to traverse the massive language barrier (and yes, this is a thing) and spend a ton of time trying to get an exchange/refund, deal with shipping, wait weeks, etc, OR, eat the cost and buy new hardware to replace the faulty stuff.

Maybe not everyone has had that type of experience, but my luck with equipment isn't always the best. :D
if your luck with equipment isn't that good especially if you buy branded items then maybe you should give the cheaper brands a try

Well... not sure how your LFS warranty works but you are very lucky if they allow you up to 4 years for a made in china product.

my LFS only gives 7 days to 1 month warranty for china products so for me is worth it

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
My sunsun 404b was 80$ shipped, compare that to a 3-400$ fx6 which does about the same GPH. I could get three sunsun's and still have spent less than one fx5.
For the record, real world output with media on an fx6 is ~500gph. Realistic output with media on a 404b is ~300gph. That is a pretty big difference.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
For the record, real world output with media on an fx6 is ~500gph. Realistic output with media on a 404b is ~300gph. That is a pretty big difference.
Is there a report where we can check what's the real world output done for canisters?

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
Is there a report where we can check what's the real world output done for canisters?
I don't know of a centralized report but real world flow through media is something that many reviewers test so it usually isn't hard to find a couple of reviews and check to make sure the tested numbers are close.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Interesting, could you possibly link me where you found the realworld data for the sunsun? I have not heard this about the 300gph before, would be interested to know for sure.
Still, even if it is 300gph, two sunsun's = 600gph for 160$ shipped vs. fx5 500gph 300$. And the sunsun has a built in UV sterilizer, plus how quiet they are. My fx5 was super noisy, not sure if the fx6's are. I'd still take the sunsun's.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
Interesting, could you possibly link me where you found the realworld data for the sunsun? I have not heard this about the 300gph before, would be interested to know for sure.
I am at work but I will take a look when I get home. To be clear, it wasn't a criticism of SunSun. The same is true of virtually all canister filters regardless of price.

My fx5 was super noisy, not sure if the fx6's are. I'd still take the sunsun's.
I don't know/remember how the noise of the fx5 compares the fx6 but noise is my biggest complaint with the fx6.

Reactions: Gourami Swami
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store