Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

What is your biggest pet peeve about your LFS?

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by AquaAlex1993, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Boomer1224

Boomer1224 MFK Members

Nicholas Cardinale
      Yesterday at 4:06 PM
      I have been going to my lfs for the last 30 yrs it has gone through different owners all in the same family but the current owner is the best in a long time although he is mostly for salt water he stil gets a good supply of fresh water fish in and his chemical section and mechanical section cant be beat

2. Boomer1224

Boomer1224 MFK Members

Nicholas Cardinale
      Yesterday at 4:06 PM
      I have been going to my lfs for the last 30 yrs it has gone through different owners all in the same family but the current owner is the best in a long time although he is mostly for salt water he stil gets a good supply of fresh water fish in and his chemical section and mechanical section cant be beat

3. krichardson

krichardson MFK Members

Today at 7:10 AM
      Is that the place that also has like a discount or a dollar store in another section of the building?

4. Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami MFK Members

19 minutes ago
      My only pet peeve about my LFS (which I used to be an employee of, years ago) is that they jack the prices of the fish a bit higher than they should, to be able to pay the 10-15ish people they have working at all times.
      Not a huge pet peeve, store is great (absolutely fish Clifton NJ)

AquaAlex1993 likes this.
    5. AquaAlex1993

AquaAlex1993 MFK Members

Alex Cardinale
      19 minutes ago
      WOW!!!!!! Holy ****. BGK are very common, 4 months! JESUS CHRIST. What did they have to do? Go collect one in the Amazon?
      Sounds like, just lazy ordering or just forgot about you until you reminded them.

That is awful when they try to overprice trade ins. He was probably extremely nervous when you said it was yours before.

Wow. Terrible customer service. I would have spoken up and said give me a new one.

6. AquaAlex1993

AquaAlex1993 MFK Members

Alex Cardinale
      19 minutes ago
      Sounds like a common practice in business, although a really unfair one for customers, sometimes these stores will go up to over 40x the number price to make a huge profit, and it just sucks for us. It puts us in a difficult decision because we like the fish, we want the fish, and we end up buying it and losing a lot of money and by buying it, it encourages them to keep raising the prices. I think the less fish they sell, they will realize they need to lower prices.

7. Drstrangelove

Drstrangelove MFK Members

Today at 3:47 AM
      I've never really had a pet peeve about a fish store. Maybe it's all about expectations. I don't expect them to provide what most customers refuse to pay for or what most customers refuse to ask for.

People on MFK, on average, know far more about fish keeping than the average LFS customer. Naturally, our standards and needs are different.

Most of these stores are not trying to cater to us. They cater to the majority of their customers, and that's why they do what they do. So, if I find a store that somehow can address even some of my standards, I'm pleased.

#37 Drstrangelove, Sep 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM
      Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 2:30 PM
      Angelphish and J. H. like this.
    8. TheLastKon

TheLastKon MFK Members

Khanh Tran
      Today at 12:49 AM
      I just hate the fact that most of them won't let me catch my own fish. I hate the fact that they chase the Fish down and it's all sorts of chaos in the tank. Much easier when you go in slow and they have no idea what's going on

9. Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa MFK Members

結城
      Sunday at 3:02 PM
      The funny thing about Tong's fish store that after 8 months they couldn't sell the fish that my friend gave them and while I stood in front of the tank taking a picture to email him about his fish, the store owner came to me and try to sell it to me for 400 bucks. I replied "you're kidding me, this fish was gave to you for FREE 8 months ago from my friend", and he replied "really?" then shut up and walked away LMAO.

10. appak

appak MFK Members

Yesterday at 2:52 PM
      Maybe I keep my expectations low so that things like this don't bother me too much... there are other, more important things, to stress over. this is a hobby, and is supposed to be (somewhat) relaxing... :D

Anyways, my take on some of the comments here. Not trying to start a flame war or offend anyone, just want to lend some perspective.

Also, remember, these are retail locations. They have to pay rent, utilities, insurance, employees, and a bunch of other overhead. Prices will reflect this. Some are also greedier than others, and add a bigger mark-up.

Oh, and no, I don't work at a LFS, don't own one, don't have any ties to one. :)

from my understanding, small fish are easier/cheaper to ship, easier to sell, easier to care for, easier to keep "on the shelf" for longer periods of time. Plus you don't have to dedicate an entire tank to one specimen. Ever notice how the LFS will always have that same bunch of huge oscars, silver arowanas, etc? The general population does not want to buy a huge fish. they want to grow it out (or they have no idea how big it gets, but "its cute i want it!!!")

Let's be honest. Nobody is paid by the minute. Chances are the employee is making minimum, and couldn't be arsed. No excuse, but consider the audience.

I'd assume LFS lose money on trade-ins, most of the time. Again, see point #1. Countless trade in fish will sit at the store, eat up an entire tank, eat food, and eventually just die. Sure, they marked up your $20 oscar to $60. Does that mean anyone's going to buy it? Don't expect to make money on trade-ins, unless it's a super rare and in demand fish.

wide bar != thin bar. different sp, different price...

Try returning that China led that you ordered from China, when it breaks down after 3 weeks. Bet you'll have better luck returning it at the LFS.

Imagine what would happen to the LFS if you had your hands in there, and the fish bit you. Or you got cut on an ornament/rock. Or you fell off the ladder. Or you had gunk on your hands, and it poisoned half of their system.

Drstrangelove, J. H. and Hendre like this.