The Making of a ADA Nature Aquarium for a Monster Fish

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
22016863_10159628382080727_2088669252_o.jpg
Today we finally reveal the 75 gallon aquascape project we have been working on. With the help of Kevin from NOAH (Links below) we finished building our nature aquarium for our monster fish. We go over how this tank started and where we got the materials used in the scape. We also go over some of the planning process and layout design.

So how did it start?

Over a year ago we went driftwood collecting and Sierra found a piece of driftwood worth diving in the lake for. We have been able to incorporate that one beautiful root set that was found into both of our current planted tanks.

What was the vision?

We wanted to build a more natural environment for our large monster fish to enjoy. We put a lot of planning and thought into making the layout work for him. Time will tell how it all works out :)

What are we using for hardscape:

ADA Amazonia Aquasoil
ADA Colorado Sand
Lava rock
Dragon stone

What equipment are we using?

Hydor 600 Professional canister filter

2x 39W Giesemann Super Flora t5s

What plants were added to the tank?

Bolbitis
Alternanthera reineckii
Eleocharis vivipara
Echinodorus tenellus
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Various Bucephalandra
Dwarf sag
Hydrocotyle tripartita sp Japan
Rotala Bonsai
Anubias nana petite
Anubias nana narrow leaf
Anubias nana
Anubias coffeefolia
Narrow leaf java fern
Monte carlo
Spiky moss
Java moss

Now that the aquascape is fully planted, we are really looking forward to seeing our big fish react to his new more natural environment. Once our parameters are perfect, we will be adding him to the tank.

22016863_10159628382080727_2088669252_o.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1275861
Today we finally reveal the 75 gallon aquascape project we have been working on. With the help of Kevin from NOAH (Links below) we finished building our nature aquarium for our monster fish. We go over how this tank started and where we got the materials used in the scape. We also go over some of the planning process and layout design.

So how did it start?

Over a year ago we went driftwood collecting and Sierra found a piece of driftwood worth diving in the lake for. We have been able to incorporate that one beautiful root set that was found into both of our current planted tanks.

What was the vision?

We wanted to build a more natural environment for our large monster fish to enjoy. We put a lot of planning and thought into making the layout work for him. Time will tell how it all works out :)

What are we using for hardscape:

ADA Amazonia Aquasoil
ADA Colorado Sand
Lava rock
Dragon stone

What equipment are we using?

Hydor 600 Professional canister filter

2x 39W Giesemann Super Flora t5s

What plants were added to the tank?

Bolbitis
Alternanthera reineckii
Eleocharis vivipara
Echinodorus tenellus
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Various Bucephalandra
Dwarf sag
Hydrocotyle tripartita sp Japan
Rotala Bonsai
Anubias nana petite
Anubias nana narrow leaf
Anubias nana
Anubias coffeefolia
Narrow leaf java fern
Monte carlo
Spiky moss
Java moss

Now that the aquascape is fully planted, we are really looking forward to seeing our big fish react to his new more natural environment. Once our parameters are perfect, we will be adding him to the tank.

View attachment 1275860

Awesome!!! What type of fish are going in that beautiful aquascaped aquarium.

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Awesome!!! What type of fish are going in that beautiful aquascaped aquarium.
I am just adding one fish, my large Rivulatus. He has been around plants for the last year almost now with little to no interest. We decided to build him a masterpiece to play in or eat, whatever he chooses, its his tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
That looks beautiful! I'm sure he will love it in there. May I ask how big he is? :)

Although I'm not sure I'd consider a GT a "monster fish", monster attitude yeah, monster size... Not so much. :D

Reactions: J. H.

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
That looks beautiful! I'm sure he will love it in there. May I ask how big he is? :)

Although I'm not sure I'd consider a GT a "monster fish", monster attitude yeah, monster size... Not so much. :D
lol yes you are right although monster fish sounds cooler, he is about 9 inches i think. Never had the need to measure him

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Very nice tank, I envy you because ADA soils are impossible to get here. We make do as best we can.

Once that moss fills in it'll be awesome :D

What fertilisers are being used? I'm concerned that without co2 those lights may cause algae issues

Reactions: Aqua Nut

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Very nice tank, I envy you because ADA soils are impossible to get here. We make do as best we can.

Once that moss fills in it'll be awesome :D

What fertilisers are being used? I'm concerned that without co2 those lights may cause algae issues
I use thrive by NilocG it is the best All in one liquid fertalizer you can get. Co2 will be on there by the end of the week. My regulator has been stuck at the border for 2 days.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I use thrive by NilocG it is the best All in one liquid fertalizer you can get. Co2 will be on there by the end of the week. My regulator has been stuck at the border for 2 days.
I'm soon to use a fertilizer produced specifically for use in South Africas soft water, he developed it 26 years ago and it's very well known in the country.

Never heard of that stuff but the plants look green! Co2 is great

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'm soon to use a fertilizer produced specifically for use in South Africas soft water, he developed it 26 years ago and it's very well known in the country.

Never heard of that stuff but the plants look green! Co2 is great
Yeah i am really happy with the fertilizer i use. Most of them plants came it yellow a week ago and they are already really starting to darken up. These fertilizers are also my by a very talented chemist. The Trive that i am using currently is made specifically for soft water as well. Do you have the name of the product you are referring to?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store