305 Gallon Build W/ 120 Gallon Sump

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Finally made progress on my sump and tank. I will post as much information as I can in hopes it will help other newbies such as myself. Please feel free to critique as I will be filling the system soon to test everything!

Tank Specs:
305 Gallons
3/4” Starphire (all walls)
L 84” W 30” H 28”

Sump specs:
120 Gallons
Tempered glass
Baffles 1/4” glass with egg crate
Will be using ceramic media and Matala as a filter between my last baffle/bubble trap
2 - 200 micron filter socks

Plumbing Specs:
All plumbing is Schedule 80 PVC aside from two small sections of 1” Braided supply lines from pumps

2 - 1” returns in each corner

Bean Animal overflow design (pics to follow):
30” Ghost style overflow in centre
From left to right:
First drain (open channel) is 1 1/2”
Second drain (emergency) is 2”
Third drain (main siphon) is 1 1/2”

Pictures to follow and I will post my projected tank turnover, flow rates, pump and other hardware info. Will probably need help with that stuff again please!

Disregard the mess in the pictures I just framed the room behind the tank and roughed in a floor drain, stand pipe and laundry tub to help with the aquarium maintenance.

Last edited:

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Very nice setup. Glad you got things worked out with the sump. Are you going to be doing anything with the back wall of the tank? Painting it or something like that? That’s the best way to hide all of the plumbing.

I really like the looks of the sch80 pvc. The dark grey looks good.

What is the stocking going to be?

Reactions: GoldFinger

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Beautiful set up

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Thanks for the kind words everyone. As far as stock goes I originally bought this tank in hopes of buying a stingray and Arowana. I have since changed my mind and am interested in the following fish (I haven’t looked into compatibility issues yet so please help if you can) :

Polleni Cichlid (paratillapia polleni)
Buccochromis lepturus
Electric Blue Carpintis Cichlid
Discus (variety of colours hopefully)
Boesemani Rainbow
Killifish

Need a snail or fish option for algae/sediment eating

I figured it would be more fun having a variety of fish to watch and let me daughter pick and name some etc.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Very nice setup. Glad you got things worked out with the sump. Are you going to be doing anything with the back wall of the tank? Painting it or something like that? That’s the best way to hide all of the plumbing.

I really like the looks of the sch80 pvc. The dark grey looks good.

What is the stocking going to be?
Thanks man!
I am going to look into 3D backgrounds otherwise I will just buy a typical background to mount on the back of the tank. The tank will be driftwood and tree themed with moss and hopefully some plants that will survive at such a depth given my lighting is only 25 lumen led. I posted a separate response regarding stock.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Thanks for the kind words everyone. As far as stock goes I originally bought this tank in hopes of buying a stingray and Arowana. I have since changed my mind and am interested in the following fish (I haven’t looked into compatibility issues yet so please help if you can) :

Polleni Cichlid (paratillapia polleni)
Buccochromis lepturus
Electric Blue Carpintis Cichlid
Discus (variety of colours hopefully)
Boesemani Rainbow
Killifish

Need a snail or fish option for algae/sediment eating

I figured it would be more fun having a variety of fish to watch and let me daughter pick and name some etc.
True father! Those will be some lucky fishes! You can do stingray with discus that'll be a beautiful tank, best of both worlds

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store