Are my cichlids seriously breeding?

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Hey Guys/Gals,

I recently added a male 9” Blue Texas Cichlid to my 305 gallon community tank. Immediately he started chasing everyone and then focused the next few days just on my female 5” Jack Dempsey.
I have never seen her with such dark brilliant colour and she seems more at ease with him now, especially since he is pretty much acting as her body guard; even taking runs at me when I get my face too close.

I’m assuming they have paired but am brand new to the hobby. Can anyone tell me what happens next and what to expect? Will he bully her after mating and will they or the other tankmates eat the potential fry?

Am I a bad parent for letting this big male make a move and create this hybrid?

Thanks in advance! Stock is:

3 - large silver dollars
4 - boesmani rainbow
1 - 2.5” Jewel Cichlid
1 - 2.5” Madagascar Cichlid
1 - 9” Blue Texas Escondido Cichlid
1 - 5” Jack Dempsey
1 - 4” Green Terror

0DC802B0-7AFA-4265-A28D-175FE64C1EC2.jpeg

E5F2EC08-FAFB-4982-AFAA-6B8FC07E79C2.jpeg

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
That JD female does look to be in breeding colors. If they breed, I'd be interested to see what the fry look like. Some have hypothesized that a pairing like this led to the Electric Blues.

Nice pics by the way, great focus and close ups!!!

Reactions: GoldFinger

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
That JD female does look to be in breeding colors. If they breed, I'd be interested to see what the fry look like. Some have hypothesized that a pairing like this led to the Electric Blues.

Nice pics by the way, great focus and close ups!!!
Thanks. I just have no idea what to do if they do happen to produce some fry. I will continue to research but was hoping for someone to shed some light on the process.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
If they lay eggs just let nature do its thing. The parents should do all the work. Then if you get fry, just take some out to grow out

Reactions: GoldFinger

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
How long does the process take? He chases everyone away from her and tries to break through the glass to get me even. He comes after my hand in the tank to. Do the bites hurt lol?
It all depends on the fish, honestly. As far as biting, i doubt it would hurt too bad though he might be able to draw blood at his size.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
It all depends on the fish, honestly. As far as biting, i doubt it would hurt too bad though he might be able to draw blood at his size.
So after he finally gets to do the deed and is done protecting the fry etc. Do they usually go back to normal or will he always protect her? Sorry I’m super new

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store