Drip system. Fool proof ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I tried a few of those regulators from HD and both failed to work.
Yes your pressure switch dictates the pressure in your entire house, but will have no impact on the pressure you choose to regulate for your drip, as I’m assuming you don’t want to dial your entire house down to 25PSI or less.
I was thinking do i need to even mess with this , as far as adding a pressure regulator.

The pex manifold is just a series of vavles couldnt i just open it slightly ?

Im having trouble figuring out how to plumb it tho. Pex panel - sharkbbite regulator - pex - cpvc then 1/4 inch tubing and emitter at the sump ?

I found shark bite regulators online. What psi do i need ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I tried a few of those regulators from HD and both failed to work.
Yes your pressure switch dictates the pressure in your entire house, but will have no impact on the pressure you choose to regulate for your drip, as I’m assuming you don’t want to dial your entire house down to 25PSI or less.
I was thinking do i need to even mess with this , as far as adding a pressure regulator.

Im having trouble figuring out how to plumb it tho. Pex panel - sharkbbite regulator - pex - cpvc then 1/4 inch tubing and emitter at the sump ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I think most emitters work on 25-50 psi. Might be a little lower. It's possible that at lower pressure it will have lower flow too.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario

Yes you could just open it slightly exactly how my first valve is opened slightly which regulates the flow/pressure.

If you really want to use a regulator though and find one that your happy with most emitters I found work best with an incoming pressure of 25-50 PSI as twentyleagues twentyleagues mentioned.

Are you adapting to a current pex manifold or are you looking to create one? If you show me what your working with I could help further from a Plumbing perspective.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yes you could just open it slightly exactly how my first valve is opened slightly which regulates the flow/pressure.

If you really want to use a regulator though and find one that your happy with most emitters I found work best with an incoming pressure of 25-50 PSI as twentyleagues twentyleagues mentioned.

Are you adapting to a current pex manifold or are you looking to create one? If you show me what your working with I could help further from a Plumbing perspective.
Thx man its existing.

Screenshot_20171229-222240.png

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
GoldFinger GoldFinger or anyone have any experience with pex.

Figure i can attach the regulator right to the panel then run tubing directly to the sump. Just not sure about the adapters though

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
Use both. The regulator is to ensure proper pressure so that the emitte
rs are more accurate and you midigate the risk of blowing one off of the line from too much pressure.

As far as connecting them there are many approaches. Here are some pics of mine. I use RO fittings from bulk reef supply to build manifolds to adjust the GPH of my drip.

View attachment 1291278

From the inside you can see one valve is closed off so that line doesn’t run. Adjustable from 1-16 GPH. This sump has legit 10k flow so the drip is sucked straight into the pumps.

View attachment 1291282
What size hosing are you using on the line going from your ball vales to your emitters? I am trying to mimic something similar with the goal of getting 2-5 GPH per emitter added.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
What size hosing are you using on the line going from your ball vales to your emitters? I am trying to mimic something similar with the goal of getting 2-5 GPH per emitter added.
Standard 1/4" RO line from bulk reef supply. A bit more expensive than the Home Depot version but those leak after time. The diameter of the line shrinks as it becomes more rigid. The BRS RO lines do not. Another recommendation is to use their ball valves. High quality. smooth operation and do not leak with movement. I have tried many different approaches and this is by far the best combo I've used to date.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Standard 1/4" RO line from bulk reef supply. A bit more expensive than the Home Depot version but those leak after time. The diameter of the line shrinks as it becomes more rigid. The BRS RO lines do not. Another recommendation is to use their ball valves. High quality. smooth operation and do not leak with movement. I have tried many different approaches and this is by far the best combo I've used to date.
Would u run the 1/4 ro line from the panel or run pex then put the adapter at the sump ?

SwellyJelly

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2014
Missouri
My impression is that you would need to run PEX and then an adapter to reduce to the 1/4 RO line then have that flow through a mutli stage filter then to your sump/tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store