Willyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Milwaukee
So I am a student an I can only get to my tank about 1-2 times a week during the school year, but I wanted something to grow out some decent size fish with little maintenance. As of now I am using a 25GPD drip system filtered by two 10inch chloramine busters. Comes out less than 140TDS. Sump is a 40b with lots of sponges for mechanical and a cubic foot of K1 fluidized by powerheads. I have a 50w UV sterilizer fed by a 120GPH powerhead to destroy hormones and parasites, it then feeds into a 40 gallon bucket with 6 inches of sand (external deep sand bed). I also use floating and rooted plants supplemented by a gentle 5lb CO2 system to facilitate growth. In the end it ends up around 180 gallons with the 125 display tank. Im happy with it and its worked great so far
Stocking:
1 WC Rotkeil Severum -7"
1 Santoperca Leucictica 7"
4 Geophagus Abailos 4"
1 G. Dicrozoter 2"
3 Apisto Eurthuras 2"
3 Leapoldi angels 3"
5 WC scalare angels 3"
some various tetras emporers and glolight (took out the ugly koi angel)IMG_0454.jpg IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0341.jpg Pinstripe Dambas I started but took out when they started nipping angel fins.IMG_0340.jpg IMG_0334.jpg DIY overflow IMG_0339.jpg UV sterilizer feeds IMG_0564.PNG Deep sand bed with syringe doserIMG_0336.jpgIMG_0311.jpg (Took out the ugly koi angel)

IMG_0332.jpg

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Looks great. Definitely a well thought out setup that should be low maintenance.

What are you studying in school? I am guessing something science based..

Willyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Milwaukee
Nursing with a bio minor hahaha, yea I may be lost. I figured nursing is a solid job that doesn’t suck too much. I’d make the switch to freshwater science or icthyology but I do t know where the money comes from is those fields.

Reactions: paulW

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used to work for the Milwaukee water works as a chemist/microbiologist.
So just in case nursing doesn't work out for, your educational background could easily put you into a position there.
I liked the work, and the ability to learn to use the latest water quality testing technology, and gear. I would come in early and test tank water, on that gear.
The money was wasn't great (probably average these days) but the benefits (back then, I've been retired 7 years) were good.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Gorgeous tank, love the aquascaping. The oak leaves look good.

As far as the K1 fluidized sump, are powerheads preferred to airstones to keep the K1 fluidized? I assume that there is adequate O2 exchange due to the roiling nature of the k1 breaking the water surface, I have always just seen people use airstones.

Willyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Milwaukee
Gorgeous tank, love the aquascaping. The oak leaves look good.

As far as the K1 fluidized sump, are powerheads preferred to airstones to keep the K1 fluidized? I assume that there is adequate O2 exchange due to the roiling nature of the k1 breaking the water surface, I have always just seen people use airstones.
I think I have enough O2 in there.. I plumed the tank pretty poorly so theres quite a bit of air coming through to the sump and I figured that was better that anthing an airstone could do.. I used powerheads because I had the and the large diphram pumps are pretty loud from what Ive heard. I dont mind the sound of water trickling and gurgling but the motor hum bugs me a bit.

Willyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Milwaukee
I used to work for the Milwaukee water works as a chemist/microbiologist.
So just in case nursing doesn't work out for, your educational background could easily put you into a position there.
I liked the work, and the ability to learn to use the latest water quality testing technology, and gear. I would come in early and test tank water, on that gear.
The money was wasn't great (probably average these days) but the benefits (back then, I've been retired 7 years) were good.
Hey thats cool, what was your academic background for that position? I have spent quite a bit of time at discovery world's aquarium taking care of their tanks lots of fun with spectrophotometers and expensive DO reading equipment. Unfortunately it was court ordered service hours but I had known them long enough to let me complete them at the museum. Honestly it wasn't much of a punishment as Id just tinker and hang out with aquarists and fish all day haha.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Nursing with a bio minor hahaha, yea I may be lost. I figured nursing is a solid job that doesn’t suck too much. I’d make the switch to freshwater science or icthyology but I do t know where the money comes from is those fields.
Right on. I'm currently studying Enviro Science with a concentration in Fish and Wildlife Management. I'm 30, but a military veteran so getting a bit of a late start. If I could give you one word of advice it would be to pursue your passions and not the money.

Good luck.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The water works prefers degrees in environmental science, biology and chemistry, but all of the chemistry, and microbiology coursework you're exposed to in nursing is applicable.
Some of my microbiology courses were filled with nursing students.
We had people working there with CSI type agrees, chemistry, biology, any of the sciences could put you in line to pass the hiring tests.
Your work at discovery world would count toward experience.
Mine was environmental science with an emphasis on water and waste water treament. And as a military veteran myself, I didn't finish school until I was 44, and started working in the water field at that same age.
By the way MATC has some great courses in water treatment, that can put in the right place, learning the technical lingo, and the ins and outs of that world.

Reactions: cjdesmit
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store