Finally, JDs have laid Eggs again!

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hello everyone,

It´s been a long time since anything special happened in my tank.
But now, after weeks and weeks of flirting around, having bad fights and loving each other again, my two JDs have decided to spawn again.
Sadly the female ist a little pale for reasons I don´t know, but the male is a pure beauty.
Since the last spawnings have all gone wrong because Mr. JD wanted to eat some eggs or the fungus destroyed every single egg, I hope this time the water is clear enough and my idea of keeping the lighting at one percent so the two can see fish moving towards the hopefully beloved eggs helps them to guard the eggs.
Sorry for that long long sentence :)
Have you any idea why my lady is that pale? I´ll post one picture of her with her usual spawning colour for seeing the difference. Normally, the male is the pale one while spawning... weird...

have a nice evening everyone :)

DSC08853.JPG
Male in spawning dress, brightly coloured with golden shining eyes (beautiful...)

DSC08836.JPG
Female guarding the eggs with bright golden eyes but unusual pale body
DSC09869.JPG
Female in her typical very contrasting spawning dress some time ago last year, him being more pale

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hello everyone,

It´s been a long time since anything special happened in my tank.
But now, after weeks and weeks of flirting around, having bad fights and loving each other again, my two JDs have decided to spawn again.
Sadly the female ist a little pale for reasons I don´t know, but the male is a pure beauty.
Since the last spawnings have all gone wrong because Mr. JD wanted to eat some eggs or the fungus destroyed every single egg, I hope this time the water is clear enough and my idea of keeping the lighting at one percent so the two can see fish moving towards the hopefully beloved eggs helps them to guard the eggs.
Sorry for that long long sentence :)
Have you any idea why my lady is that pale? I´ll post one picture of her with her usual spawning colour for seeing the difference. Normally, the male is the pale one while spawning... weird...

have a nice evening everyone :)

View attachment 1315551
Male in spawning dress, brightly coloured with golden shining eyes (beautiful...)

View attachment 1315552
Female guarding the eggs with bright golden eyes but unusual pale body
View attachment 1315553
Female in her typical very contrasting spawning dress some time ago last year, him being more pale

Awesome pair.:)

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
thank you :)
The male is raised by me. It has very good genes I guess since the father was also brightly coloured before fullgrown.... The female I got at my LFS... for... 3 Euros and 50 cents... for that money I could not have made a better choice, don't you agree?
I love those two and will never let them go. Not for any Money in this world :D

Reactions: tlindsey

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hello everyone,

I just counted the number of eggs I found...
It seems the female layed 740 and more eggs!!!
Is that normal? I mean... this is so much!

Will my ancistrus eat some wrigglers or eggs if I shut down the light? I have it on minimum brightness over night so the parents see enemies coming... I am afraid they could get into bad fights if the breeding goes wrong again...

have a nice day everyone

Reactions: YankeeJack

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
quick update on the JD breeding,

She is picking the wigglers from the wall and placing them in the gravel...
I hope she is as protective as with the eggs, otherwise the ancistrus will take their chance on them. I guess the number of wigglers is about 200, some eggs had a really bad fungus on them.
We will see how it goes

have a nice day :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
quick update on the JD breeding,

She is picking the wigglers from the wall and placing them in the gravel...
I hope she is as protective as with the eggs, otherwise the ancistrus will take their chance on them. I guess the number of wigglers is about 200, some eggs had a really bad fungus on them.
We will see how it goes

have a nice day :)

She will do her best but after lights out the Pleco's will attack eggs not sure about the fry.

Reactions: YankeeJack

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hello everybody,

it seems the number of wigglers decreased... I counted no more than maybe 50... of a few hundred.
Over night I have a very low light on so she can see the wigglers and possible dangers.
I hope at least some of them survive, but I also know about the hunger of my ancistrus...
Wish me luck and have a nice evening :)

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Best of luck! The plecos will definitely snarf wigglers ... I've had it done to me many times and witnessed it live. Hope some make it!

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
thanks for your hope...
I would love to have some babys again...
But if the plecos eat the wigglers...
On the other hand, if the plecos breed, the Jacks will eat their fry also.
All in all it is a balance of nature and we will see how it ends.
Sad but true...

have a nice day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store