searching for a surface fish

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hello guys my tank is a 2meter tank.
The tank is almost fully stocked but my polypterus senegalus died a few months ago and I thought why not put another fish in there.

Most fish in my tank tend to hide so I dont see them at all.... o_Ounless there is food in the tank.
The bottom is pretty full with fish as catfish a knife fish, a polypterus and eels. For the rest is the tank quite a lot of empty space. So I decided to look for a surface fish.

anyone a good idea for a surface fish?
Im open for everything, even smaller fish or not aggressive ones. But they need to be around 15cm or they will get eaten

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Pink tail chalceus is pretty cool but very quick on food. If you have a 2 meter then why not a Ctenopoma as like your profile photo, a similar alternative is a snakeskin gourami but mine can be quite the nippy little idiot sometimes. That's rare luckily

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello guys my tank is a 2meter tank.
The tank is almost fully stocked but my polypterus senegalus died a few months ago and I thought why not put another fish in there.

Most fish in my tank tend to hide so I dont see them at all.... o_Ounless there is food in the tank.
The bottom is pretty full with fish as catfish a knife fish, a polypterus and eels. For the rest is the tank quite a lot of empty space. So I decided to look for a surface fish.

anyone a good idea for a surface fish?
Im open for everything, even smaller fish or not aggressive ones. But they need to be around 15cm or they will get eaten

Pink tail Chalceus

Reactions: kno4te

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Pink tail chalceus is pretty cool but very quick on food. If you have a 2 meter then why not a Ctenopoma as like your profile photo, a similar alternative is a snakeskin gourami but mine can be quite the nippy little idiot sometimes. That's rare luckily
Pink tail chalceus are pretty cool, but I dont really like group fish. my filter and I need to do a lot more work if I need to add more then 5/6 fish. And Pink tail chalceus are group fish right?
Or is it possible to keep 1 or 3 in a tank?

Ctenopoma's dont swim at the surface at all. Mine tend to stay on the ground/plants or swim in the middle of the tank

Trichopodus pectoralis / snakeskin gourami looks really cool, might go for that. But first lets hear some more idea's :)

Reactions: Hendre

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Back in the day when I had a bunch of big fish who were pellet trained, I'd always have a school of zebra danios on the surface. Anywhere from 50-100. My lfs would get them for me at like $.12 a piece because I'd buy so many. Of course they'd gradually disappear over time to opportunistic predation, but the big fish still favored pellets and mostly left them alone. Seeing the school was really cool and I enjoyed it. They shared the top with a 2' black aro which was a great juxtaposition.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Back in the day when I had a bunch of big fish who were pellet trained, I'd always have a school of zebra danios on the surface. Anywhere from 50-100. My lfs would get them for me at like $.12 a piece because I'd buy so many. Of course they'd gradually disappear over time to opportunistic predation, but the big fish still favored pellets and mostly left them alone. Seeing the school was really cool and I enjoyed it. They shared the top with a 2' black aro which was a great juxtaposition.
I dont really trust the danio industry. Most of the danios that I can buy will probably be bad for my fish health. And I dont really want to keep fish that can be eaten or will be. But sounds like a cool tank, danios and Aros. Do u still have some pics? I would love to see it

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Is there something like a gar or like a arowana fish that is possible to keep in a 2meter aquarium?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Is there something like a gar or like a arowana fish that is possible to keep in a 2meter aquarium?
I don't think so.

Chalceus can go single, just make sure to use some plants or structure at the ends so it slows down in time.

My snakeskin likes eating plants, or so the net says. Only ever seen it nibbling at water sprite roots.

Reactions: neko1

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Hujeta Rocket Gar, Marbled Gar (characin one), African Pike

Reactions: neko1

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I dont really trust the danio industry. Most of the danios that I can buy will probably be bad for my fish health. And I dont really want to keep fish that can be eaten or will be. But sounds like a cool tank, danios and Aros. Do u still have some pics? I would love to see it
There may still be some pics floating around in the forum somewhere, but the hard drive I had all my pics on died years ago.

Check out pile characins. A hujeta "gar" would be perfect for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store