Feeding frozen fish

JordanJ

Exodon
MFK Member
May 28, 2018
Here in the UK I’m having a hard time finding tilapia fillets. I can buy whole black tilapia in a local oriental supermarket but it’s not ideal. However whilst I was there I saw a few different species that people will recognise.

My question is do people prefer to feed freshwater species of fish to there Polypterus? Pollock, Cod, haddock etc are all very easy to source. I’ve always stayed away from oily species as a rule. I feed frozen Lance fish which I find leave an oil slick on the surface. I also feed basa (Pangasius) weekly.

I pick up a bag of the gouramis as I feel they are a relatively close species to what would be eaten in the wild.

31741093-61CF-4314-8B8B-E968550AE5B6.jpeg 6747258E-AA9A-474E-877B-225A35E7DEC0.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

JordanJ

Exodon
MFK Member
May 28, 2018
I’ll also add I feed a variety of other foods including Hikari massivore, carnivore, sinking gold, mussels, krill superba, cockles, scallops, king prawns and a whole variety of other foods meant for the other fish in the tank.

I would just prefer to feed a frozen fish closer to what would be consumed in the wild.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’ll also add I feed a variety of other foods including Hikari massivore, carnivore, sinking gold, mussels, krill superba, cockles, scallops, king prawns and a whole variety of other foods meant for the other fish in the tank.

I would just prefer to feed a frozen fish closer to what would be consumed in the wild.

I personally don't see a problem with that and if the fish eat it. My concern would be if the fish contained thiamine.

JordanJ

Exodon
MFK Member
May 28, 2018
I personally don't see a problem with that and if the fish eat it. My concern would be if the fish contained thiamine.
My understanding of thiamine is that it’s only an issue if it’s contained within the majority of the diet, thus by feeding a balanced pellet as a staple it should never really be an issue. I could well have misunderstood the whole issue however. However this was my reason for not buying the tinfoil barbs to feed, a little too closely related to goldfish to even chance thiamine issues.

Do you feed any other species of fish other than tilapia?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
My understanding of thiamine is that it’s only an issue if it’s contained within the majority of the diet, thus by feeding a balanced pellet as a staple it should never really be an issue. I could well have misunderstood the whole issue however. However this was my reason for not buying the tinfoil barbs to feed, a little too closely related to goldfish to even chance thiamine issues.

I remember there was a member here that was feeding cod fillet

Reactions: tlindsey

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA

Lots of good info here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/pellets-vs-purely-raw-feeding.677765/page-4

Note post #34 @RD mentions thiamine not really an issue if using vitamins, also in that thread I think there was mention that its not an issue too if feeding pellets in their diet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store