Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Tracee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
can anyone tell me if this is a red texas or a flowerhorn or possibly something else. I purchased it as a red texas. He was smaller then and not in the best health. A year later he is 12 inches long and completely a different color than when he was purchased.
I would like to add an additional fish of the same type to the tank if possible.

C5E81F53-366A-46AE-A1BB-717C122CF32F.jpeg 8CEB28C4-2CC2-4FFB-995C-1035B42DF080.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
That's the rub, a red Texas is a hybrid so in essence a flowerhorn. So if you want to get it a mate you will have to find out what was it's parents were and try and find a fish with the same crossing.
Or you could just get another Flowerhorn to breed it with. If that's all you are going for and no plan to sell the fry. If you do you will have to make sure the people know that it's a hybrid.

Reactions: Tracee

Tracee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
Thank you. I am just looking for a tank mate. Just thought if I knew the correct name it would be easiee to find another one very similar.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Red Texas is a common Flowerhorn crossing that people make. If you search Red Texas on the site I am sure some peoples post will show up and you can compare the looks of your fish to thiers.

More that not Flowerhorns are kept singularly due to aggressive behavior. Or in the same tank with a separator so they don't kill each other.
If you are just looking for more activity in your tank. If it's a big enough tank you can get some dithers like Silver Dollar's and some king of catfish, pleco.

Tracee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
Red Texas is a common Flowerhorn crossing that people make. If you search Red Texas on the site I am sure some peoples post will show up and you can compare the looks of your fish to thiers.

More that not Flowerhorns are kept singularly due to aggressive behavior. Or in the same tank with a separator so they don't kill each other.
If you are just looking for more activity in your tank. If it's a big enough tank you can get some dithers like Silver Dollar's and some king of catfish, pleco.

Tracee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
Its a 175 gal tank all to itself. So I thought adding a mate might give him something to do besides rearrange the tank daily

Reactions: Jexnell

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Its a 175 gal tank all to itself. So I thought adding a mate might give him something to do besides rearrange the tank daily
75 or 175?
In a 175 I would say try some silver dollars, and a catfish like a pimelodus. Another flowerhorn will probably be killed by yours, they are quite aggressive and yours already sees this tank as his territory. Another of the same species coming into his territory, will probably be killed.

Reactions: Jexnell and Tracee

Tracee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
75 or 175?
In a 175 I would say try some silver dollars, and a catfish like a pimelodus. Another flowerhorn will probably be killed by yours, they are quite aggressive and yours already sees this tank as his territory. Another of the same species coming into his territory, will probably be killed.
175 gal

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yeah I would try some silver dollars and a catfish (as long as too big to be eaten). Fish that look nothing like the flowerhorn, are more likely to work, as it won't view them as competition. Some flowerhorns won't tolerate other fish no matter what, but some will. You have a large enough tank, so I'd say give it a shot and keep an eye on him.

Reactions: Jexnell

Tracee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
Yeah I would try some silver dollars and a catfish (as long as too big to be eaten). Fish that look nothing like the flowerhorn, are more likely to work, as it won't view them as competition. Some flowerhorns won't tolerate other fish no matter what, but some will. You have a large enough tank, so I'd say give it a shot and keep an eye on him.
Thank you so very much for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store