Fish dying? Why?

Jhirschboeck314

Gambusia
May 24, 2018
I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 black neons, 3 balloon mollies, a swordtail a platt and some shrimp. I’ve had the tank set up for about 4 months. Everything was going well. I decided to start a planted tank so I added some Caribsea planted substrate. I got some plants that were packaged and went to town. Ever since then my fish have been mysteriously dying. I did a water test and nothing was different.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Ph-8

I did a 20% water change and left it about a week. Fish are still dying and I tested the water and it was still the above. I have a mollie and 3 black neons left. I’m assuming it’s somthing with the plants and substrate. I rinsed them very well. Any ideas?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say but could be from the plants that were recently added. Normal practice should be to even treat ot quarantine the plants.

Was the plants in a tank with other fish? If so maybe the plants introduced something. Sorry for lossso far.

Jhirschboeck314

Gambusia
May 24, 2018
Hard to say but could be from the plants that were recently added. Normal practice should be to even treat ot quarantine the plants.

Was the plants in a tank with other fish? If so maybe the plants introduced something. Sorry for lossso far.
They were tubes with water gel and they weren’t with other fish. Do you suggest I just take them out? I do have an empty tank I can quarentine them in but it’s not done cycling

AKKADIAN

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2018
How many plants did you add to your tank? 20G is fairly small...it could be possible that during the night there is a lack of oxygen in the tank.

At night the plants are creating CO2 I believe. This is why in planted tanks it is important to run the air pumps more during the night.

Reactions: skjl47

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They were tubes with water gel and they weren’t with other fish. Do you suggest I just take them out? I do have an empty tank I can quarentine them in but it’s not done cycling
Well if it’s the plants then it maybe in ur tanks already. Would just watch and not add any fish. Consider making the tank a temporary qt tank.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store