New catfish, Suriname Piraiba

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Is the piraiba's snout tip slightly damaged?

As mine grew in 240 gal, it started to bash around, spook sometimes, and its perfect snout tip started to bend down. This was the reason for taking a risk in 4500 gal.
Hey viktor! No no damage at all. His in an 8 x3 tank so he has room. Regardless its going into a cylinder so i wont have to worry about that ever happening.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey viktor! No no damage at all. His in an 8 x3 tank so he has room. Regardless its going into a cylinder so i wont have to worry about that ever happening.
The probability of hitting a wall of a cylinder at normal angle, or close to it, is not zero. The damage we worry about is greatly reduced in a cylinder versus rectangle but not eliminated. An inflatable soft wall pool would probably eliminate it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Mine from Suriname is about 33". The peruvians are 2x smaller still. I'd think Vince's are over 3' by now. Must be.

Been a long time since I saw a post from Michael Bryce aka arapaimag.

Viktor's. Not Visitors.

You're probably thinking of John PTC. Michael is in Canada, Ontario state.

Agree. Phil, as you read in my thread, my piraiba's snout tip started to eventually bend down in 240 gal due to freak out incidents.

Good to know. But you may be comparing apples and oranges. You are quoting the fastest growth period. Phil is speaking in general or of the larger fish. Still, up to 2" a month is possible just not sustainable long term.

My suriname piraiba has been on a hunger strike for some months now, 2 or 3 months. Worries me a bit. I wonder if this is the time of year (and my water conditions are right) for their migration. Plus something is pestering mine too in 4500 gal. Suspects are Sperata aor and bowfin.
The probability of hitting a wall of a cylinder at normal angle, or close to it, is not zero. The damage we worry about is greatly reduced in a cylinder versus rectangle but not eliminated. An inflatable soft wall pool would probably eliminate it.
The reason they spook is because of being scared by someone or something coming up in front of them or if they get spooked while sleeping. The tank im getting eliminates the possibility if getting scared by someone walking up on it and no shadows appear thru the walls. It will have plenty of room to swim around and dart around for a good while. I'll take my chances on a round tank instead of a square tank any day as far as nose bruising goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store