XxTheWolfxX

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2015
Hey, all.
I'm thinking of setting up a 75 gallon tank in my room in a few months, or a 125 gallon if I can manage it, which I likely won't. I'll either do an oscar setup (which I put in a different post) or a peacock cichlid tank and had some questions about setup.
It's going to have sand as the substrate, either black or cream/light tan. Any particular color or brand or kind better than another? What kind of filtration should I get? Cannister, HOB? I was thinking of doing a sump with a small refugium so I could add more total water volume as well as add a lot more customabilitity to the setup. If I do a sump, far more than likely it would be an external overflow. Any particular heater brand or wattage I should keep my eye on? And as far as lighting, what won't break the bank (less than $300 preferably) and will bring out the brightest oranges, yellows, and reds? And what kind of decor? Rockwork and caves, I know, but any particular kind? Slate, shale, lava rock? I like some of the texas holey rock, but have heard mixed reviews. What kind of background? 3D or black or like a picture of rocks? Any kinds of plants, fake or alive?
Thanks!

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I would have 12-15 peacocks in a 75
20-25 in a 125
If u have really good filtration 1 Oscar would be fine in a 75 but 125 is better and u can have 2-3
Canister filter is best with a hob or sponge filter to clean another section of the tank

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
Im a fan of wet/dry filters. I use black blasting sand in my tank. Im in Fl, so I never use a heater. I used about 80lbs of granite in mine, along with a black painted background

Reactions: tlindsey

Hari Haran

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Try starting with 5-10, check your levels (ammonia and nitrate), you can add more based on it.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I would have 12-15 peacocks in a 75
20-25 in a 125
If u have really good filtration 1 Oscar would be fine in a 75 but 125 is better and u can have 2-3
Canister filter is best with a hob or sponge filter to clean another section of the tank
Do not put an oscar in a 75!
Anthonyfish stop suggesting putting fish in tanks where they can't properly turn around!

As far as filtration go, I'm a fan of the sump, which allows you to go with pothos or other plant filtration, as far as lighting I would go with something with a blue tinge to it, so the yellows really stand out

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Do not put an oscar in a 75!
Anthonyfish stop suggesting putting fish in tanks where they can't properly turn around!

As far as filtration go, I'm a fan of the sump, which allows you to go with pothos or other plant filtration, as far as lighting I would go with something with a blue tinge to it, so the yellows really stand out
1 oscar is fine its not sufficent I think 90 gallon is minimum but its better than the 40s and 55 gallons they go in and they dont usually get bigger than 14inches so they can turn around also takes years for them to reach anything past tht

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
1 oscar is fine its not sufficent I think 90 gallon is minimum but its better than the 40s and 55 gallons they go in and they dont usually get bigger than 14inches so they can turn around also takes years for them to reach anything past tht
Doing better than everyone else does not make it ok, ever

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store