Senegal Bichir acting strange.

Archainin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hey guys. I have read a few forums here and they have helped! But currently I am having an issue. My bichir has been in the tank for 3 days. He is a small juvy head smaller than a penny about 2 to 3 inch long. Our smallest african cichlids went missing... no surprise he was a runt. And all the sudden the bichir has a bulging belly. This didnt concern me but then out of no where he started floating at the top and listing to one side. He stays at the top now and looks like he is dying. Of course then the other cichlids want to investigate and he will move but it is speratic and slow. Is he ok? Just ate too much? Any suggestions? I dont want him to die.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys. I have read a few forums here and they have helped! But currently I am having an issue. My bichir has been in the tank for 3 days. He is a small juvy head smaller than a penny about 2 to 3 inch long. Our smallest african cichlids went missing... no surprise he was a runt. And all the sudden the bichir has a bulging belly. This didnt concern me but then out of no where he started floating at the top and listing to one side. He stays at the top now and looks like he is dying. Of course then the other cichlids want to investigate and he will move but it is speratic and slow. Is he ok? Just ate too much? Any suggestions? I dont want him to die.

Welcome aboard

Sounds like trapped air. You can net the little poly and gently massage that area and hopefully it will release some air. The good thing is the Sen is at the top and can take in air when needed.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You can also dose with epsom salt it acts as a laxative. I think its 1 tbs per 10 gallons.

Tlindsey is not joking that is another possibility

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store