Help Feeding

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Some of you might know that I have a silver arowana and a peacock bass. I feed them pieces of tilapia with pellets inside. The bass is super quick and gets all the food. I tried giving the bass 3 pieces in a row and then drop one right in front of the arowana but the bass still eats it. The arowana still gets a few pieces but not enough. What should I do to try to get the arowana to get more?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Try filling the first couple for the bass with clove oil?

Just kidding, don't do that. You could try putting some kind of temporary divider in the tank, feed the bass on one end of the tank, the arowana on the other. They might eventually learn to go to their own spots for feeding.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Try filling the first couple for the bass with clove oil?

Just kidding, don't do that. You could try putting some kind of temporary divider in the tank, feed the bass on one end of the tank, the arowana on the other. They might eventually learn to go to their own spots for feeding.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Another option is to try to drop all of the food in at once so that the arowana has a chance to get more pieces before the bass has time to eat them all.

How big are they?

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Get a pair of long tongs. Attract the attention of the bass away from the arrowana with food in the tongs. Then while bass is distracted feed arrowana?
Possibly even dangled food in water for bass and moving it while arrowana has time to eat.

Reactions: jaws7777

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Get a pair of long tongs. Attract the attention of the bass away from the arrowana with food in the tongs. Then while bass is distracted feed arrowana?
Possibly even dangled food in water for bass and moving it while arrowana has time to eat.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Another option is to try to drop all of the food in at once so that the arowana has a chance to get more pieces before the bass has time to eat them all.

How big are they?
Have you tried feeding at opposite sides of the tank? Or maybe make a divider from egg create to insert whilst feeding.
Have you tried feeding at opposite sides of the tank? Or maybe make a divider from egg create to insert whilst feeding.
Some of you might know that I have a silver arowana and a peacock bass. I feed them pieces of tilapia with pellets inside. The bass is super quick and gets all the food. I tried giving the bass 3 pieces in a row and then drop one right in front of the arowana but the bass still eats it. The arowana still gets a few pieces but not enough. What should I do to try to get the arowana to get more?

Lol clove oil would be funny to see in my food. They both are around 6-8 inches. I should also add the arowana seems almost intimidated by the bass so is not always going after the food. Lately actually, the arowana hasn’t been eating even when he has a chance to get the food. I have tried to feed on opposite sides of the tank too. The only way I can get the arowana to eat is by holding the food above the water for the arowana to jump up out of the water and get it. Have some cool slo- mos of him. But even when he does that, he will only eat one or two and the pieces are bite sized

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It does sound a bit like the bass is the dominant one in the tank. If that’s the case, the arowana it will probably always prove difficult to feed the arowana. Possibly adding some dither fish will help or putting up a divider that is mostly opaque. Last option would be to set up another grow out tank so they each get their own.

Reactions: KelberiFishLover19
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store