What are your thoughts on fish like Pacu being sold

Zack cloutier

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2015
Massachusetts
Just to add to the potential food aspect...

I know a lfs owner who had a customer bring in a giant pacu and nobody could of housed it around here. He eventually ended up cooking it and it was the most disgusting fish hes ever eaten so he says! Fish raised on pellets and other junk generally taste bad. For instance rainbow trout that are freshly stocked when caught for the dinner table will have a off what bland meat but after the summer the stockies that held over and have ben eating bugs and other fish have a bright orange meat equivalent to salmon.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
The people who are willing to go on MFK and find a pacu, would probably be willing to fill out a permit form and pay a 20$ fee as well. This buyer would know what they are getting into, the bigger problem to me is these fish being sold to any harry dick and sally who walks into Petco. I work at Petco currently, they were selling iridescent sharks to people with small tanks until I started there, now we don't carry them.

I can kind of see where you guys are coming from, not wanting your favorite fish to be banned or require a permit, but nobody here has said that these fish should be illegal, banned, or unavailable. Just a little more difficult to buy, in order to keep them in the hands of dedicated hobbyists, or people who are committed to keeping the fish in proper housing. to me, the safety of the large number of fish that get mistreated because they are so readily available and easy to buy, is much more important than the slight inconvenience of having to fill out a permit. I honestly don't see any downside to requiring a simple permit form and $20 fee to buy an animal that will cost thousands of dollars to house properly.
What we need is morality. I don't mind people pointing out what should or shouldn't be done to animals. I have no problem with organizations that work to help people, livestock and pets. In fact I give to them.
I have a big problem with the thought process that new and more laws and taxes solve problems.

Reactions: pescado209

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Just to add to the potential food aspect...

I know a lfs owner who had a customer bring in a giant pacu and nobody could of housed it around here. He eventually ended up cooking it and it was the most disgusting fish hes ever eaten so he says! Fish raised on pellets and other junk generally taste bad. For instance rainbow trout that are freshly stocked when caught for the dinner table will have a off what bland meat but after the summer the stockies that held over and have ben eating bugs and other fish have a bright orange meat equivalent to salmon.
They shoot horses that have ankle problems and churn them into dog food. But wait, we need to save the Pacu!

Reactions: jaws7777

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What we need is morality. I don't mind people pointing out what should or shouldn't be done to animals. I have no problem with organizations that work to help people, livestock and pets. In fact I give to them.
I have a big problem with the thought process that new and more laws and taxes solve problems.
So what would you suggest to fix the problem, if not laws or fees etc?

Zack cloutier

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2015
Massachusetts
They shoot horses that have ankle problems and churn them into dog food. But wait, we need to save the Pacu!
I was just adding they probably taste terrible lol should of also added im not of fan of any restrictions! If people wana keep them by all means go for it just have the knowledge going into it.

Hell id eat a horse if it tastes good:popcorn:

Reactions: LBDave

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
The people who are willing to go on MFK and find a pacu, would probably be willing to fill out a permit form and pay a 20$ fee as well. This buyer would know what they are getting into, the bigger problem to me is these fish being sold to any harry dick and sally who walks into Petco. I work at Petco currently, they were selling iridescent sharks to people with small tanks until I started there, now we don't carry them.

I can kind of see where you guys are coming from, not wanting your favorite fish to be banned or require a permit, but nobody here has said that these fish should be illegal, banned, or unavailable. Just a little more difficult to buy, in order to keep them in the hands of dedicated hobbyists, or people who are committed to keeping the fish in proper housing. to me, the safety of the large number of fish that get mistreated because they are so readily available and easy to buy, is much more important than the slight inconvenience of having to fill out a permit. I honestly don't see any downside to requiring a simple permit form and $20 fee to buy an animal that will cost thousands of dollars to house properly.
Thank you, finally someone that reads and is not looking for an excuse to bring in politics and "big brother".

I honestly never mentioned banning or anything like that but hey, if you believe that would be a bigger problem than how these animals are being handled and the effect that it has on the environment "and ultimately our hobby" then more power to you.

I thought we could have a conversation without going off the rails over something so trivial.

Nothing like being so binary that you can't consider different ideas backed up with facts to jump the gun and spew your ideologies.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The people who are willing to go on MFK and find a pacu, would probably be willing to fill out a permit form and pay a 20$ fee as well. .
Only one way to find out, ask them. Start a thread and poll it.
Simple question : would you mind paying a 20$ permit fee to make the sale of a desired fish illegal without said permit.

Someone mentioned oscars and mayans destroying the fla water ways, why not ban them or require a permit ?

You suggested the permit be placed on fish that get larger than 2 feet. So a 20 inch fish is ok ? Why stop there. Why not require a permit for anything larger than say 12 inches ?

Its not our fault you cant house something that gets 24 inches. I respect the fact that you dont keep fish that would outgrow your tank but that doesnt give anyone the right to make this harder on people like myself who can keep these fish.

I bring this up all the time and have yet to hear a decent reply.

So pacu, prima, and everything that grows over 2 ft should require a permit meanwhile oscars are probably the most abused animal in the pet trade. Why arent they getting the love ?

I can tell you why... no one in there right mind is going to say a permit should be needed to keep an O and at least being honest about it lol

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Educate. Support people, fish stores and internet stores that do the right thing. There was a post not long ago about Aripimas and how everybody sells them. Use the power of the people and the money. Hell, MFK has power! Organizations can reach out and run ads. We can boycott. We can team up with other forums/ organizations. I would be proud to be part of that! I would start with Ebay. Get these on line companys to at least post warnings.
There are people that rescue Monster Fish. I love these people. If I lived near one I would donate my time. We as a group could do this. Time and/or money. Is it going to save all the fish. No. Is it worth the try to at least help some. Yes. We could also network. Some people are willing to take distressed fish. Maybe we could help with airfrieight. Maybe we could lobby Fedex or UPS to help us with that.
Fish Stores are not regulated. I'm not saying we should (regulate) but what about some type of approval? Let's say a group sets guidelines for what is required for a "Humane Fish Grade A" approval. If enough people care about something things can happen if you work together.
I have lots of ideas.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thank you, finally someone that reads and is not looking for an excuse to bring in politics and "big brother".

I honestly never mentioned banning or anything like that but hey, if you believe that would be a bigger problem than how these animals are being handled and the effect that it has on the environment "and ultimately our hobby" then more power to you.

I thought we could have a conversation without going off the rails over something so trivial.

Nothing like being so binary that you can't consider different ideas backed up with facts to jump the gun and spew your ideologies.
Buddy if a permit is required who manages this process ?

A federal or local gov right. Saying big brother has nothing to do with politics.

These facts you speak where are they ? I get it, these threads always take this route. Your feelings are hurt because you thought every reply would be in agreement with your thoughts.

Stop being so binary. No one is talking about ideologies. Im just proving how what is being requested makes 0 sense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store