Jardini Tankmates

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
More likely to work than the jardini from what I have read, the Asians are supposed to be less aggressive. I have never kept an Asian, can't personally verify that. I do think a 180 is going to eventually be too small for any arowana species. Though it should work for a good while, if you can upgrade at some point to more like a 300.
I will most likely upgrade in a few years time if I’m honest so that shouldn’t be an issue hopefully. Also if I were to raise a Midas with 2 Oscars from a very young age would they be able to co-exist? (Sorry for asking so many questions aha)

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
No worries that's what the forum is for
I don't think Oscars and Midas are a good match. Midas prefer harder water, Oscars suffer problems in hard water long term. Also the midas are much more aggressive in general. A better match would likely be something like a severum or hoplarchus psittacus.

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
No worries that's what the forum is for
I don't think Oscars and Midas are a good match. Midas prefer harder water, Oscars suffer problems in hard water long term. Also the midas are much more aggressive in general. A better match would likely be something like a severum or hoplarchus psittacus.
I really cannot decide between a Midas and an Oscar ahaha

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hm I see so would a Midas be able to live with Severums or clown loaches or strictly no tankmates?
Midas would need similarly tough aggressive tankmates; severum and clown loaches would work with the oscars, but I wouldn't try with the midas. Midas, you would be better off with other central American cichlids; because of the level of aggression and also because they thrive in harder water. You could attempt a community of aggressive CA cichlids like the midas, but these tanks are difficult to pull off in the long term, takes a lot of luck and often a lot of frustration to get a mix that works. Would probably have to shuffle fish around for a while, and have another tank running to put refugees in temporarily. There's no way really for me to tell you if a mix of fish will definitely work or not; just guidelines like maximum size or water preferences, which can guide the decisions.

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
Midas would need similarly tough aggressive tankmates; severum and clown loaches would work with the oscars, but I wouldn't try with the midas. Midas, you would be better off with other central American cichlids; because of the level of aggression and also because they thrive in harder water. You could attempt a community of aggressive CA cichlids like the midas, but these tanks are difficult to pull off in the long term, takes a lot of luck and often a lot of frustration to get a mix that works. Would probably have to shuffle fish around for a while, and have another tank running to put refugees in temporarily. There's no way really for me to tell you if a mix of fish will definitely work or not; just guidelines like maximum size or water preferences, which can guide the decisions.
Would texas cichlids work with a Midas?

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Are they fun to keep, by fun I mean do they have a personality like some of the other cichlids?
Yeah, they're fun in the "try not to get your fingers bit when feeding" kinda way. Lots of personality if u like fish w bad attitudes. I swear at mine alot. Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store