Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
New test kit came in. Ph 6.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Picking up a hardness test this weekend. Clearly my water is not as hard as i thought.

Based on the tank still being fully cycled, I'm hesitant to think the cycle actually crashed. There'd be signs of ammonia or nitrite. If it stalled, there'd be signs of them or higher nitrates.

Thinking back I recall seeing a red spot with slightly scales on her back a few days before her passing. It healed completely in 2 days so I thought nothing of it, maybe just a scrape from jumping. But now I'm thinking it might have been more than that.
Could have jumped and hurt herself. The superficial wounds healed quickly like normal but internal injuries lead to death?

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Could have jumped and hurt herself. The superficial wounds healed quickly like normal but internal injuries lead to death?
That's what I'm thinking. I didn't do an autopsy even though I probably should have. But then again I thought I knew what the problem was...

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Have you happened to test your tap's water pH?

pH is a measure of H+ vs OH-. The more H+ vs OH-, the lower the pH.

H+ are normally increasing in fish tanks due to the acidic processes going on, pretty much naturally in every one's tank. The pH remains the same if buffering to counteract the increasing H+ is available(KH counteracts by the means of OH+ and HCO3 - mainly) but if KH is not replenished on time, there'll be no more buffers to cope with the increasing H+ and the pH drops.

Hardness is generally a measure of calcium and magnesium ions and is not directly correlated with pH, although water high on those ions is more likely to have higher pH, but it is not always the case, and vice versa.

Having said that, fish die and many of the times we don't know why or our suspicions can be wrong. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you've ruled out water quality.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I cant get enough of him!

View attachment 1368882
View attachment 1368881

I also got a deal I couldn't pass up...meet the newest house mate named Watermelawn
View attachment 1368883

Thats one hell of great looking del !!!
You should submit that 1st pic to this thread.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-book-update-image-submissions-needed.716578/

Josh's Fish Josh's Fish
Is putting together a polypterid book

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store