Nexus Filter Build

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Water Clarity
The Nexus 320 boast extreme water clarity with the incorporation of two different size medias. The inner mechanical chamber contains K1 Micro media which is small and sits statically to trap particles. The outer biological chamber contains a moving bed of K1 media. The K1 Micro media even though called small is still twice the size of the media from the Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima filter. The difference being that the Nexus is a open system relying on gravity. Where as the Ultima filter is pressurized.
Curious to find out how this performs on monster fish.

k1 media.jpg

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
This filter has some similarity to the diy midi filtration. Very cool filter what is the turnover rate on the nexus?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Meh, a lot like my old dynaflow
Do you mean AquaDyne? A lot of filters are similar. Really not high tech but variations. Simplicity to clean is a key factor for me. Hope this baby does what they say.

Reactions: Matteus

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Do you mean AquaDyne? A lot of filters are similar. Really not high tech but variations. Simplicity to clean is a key factor for me. Hope this baby does what they say.
Sarcasm my friend. That nexus is off the hook!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks to Covid-19 I have time to mess with my forgotten project.
Center chamber is going to be replaced with a new one from the 320 model.
Lots and lots of bio media.

DSC_1755.jpg
DSC_1757.jpg
DSC_1760.jpg

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Have a look at koiphen forum if you haven't already. Several members there have done what you intend to do.

At the heart of the nexus is a static bed for easy clean mechanical followed by a moving bed of K1. A lot of people (including myself) use 2 separate barrels to accomplish the same thing.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Outstanding thread; very interesting! Looking forward to updates.

The cheapskate DIY-er in me is now wondering how I can build one of these out of Rubbermaid bins and garbage cans...:)

How is the mechanical media cleaned? I see the waste valve to drain sediment, but the actual media must become steadily more and more clogged as time passes. Is that inner chamber easily removed and just pressure-washed to clean, or does the media need to be removed and washed separately?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store