Stocking 200 gallon

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I put together my first SA tank with the exception of loaches. I have a 200 gallon 84x24x24 tank with 2 fx6 filters. All fish are juveniles and 4-7 inches with the exception of the pleco. I plan to move the tigers, arowana and pleco to a 300 gallon tank in the near future. Everyone is peaceful at the moment. Doing a 50 percent water change and vacuum every 6-7 days. Factoring growth, how long can I sustain a healthy environment with my current stock and maintenance? Amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.

Stock.

3 tiger oscars 6 inch

1 electric blue jack Dempsey 5 inch

2 green terror 3-4 inch

2 firemouth 4 inch

1 pleco 7 inch

1 red spotted severum 4 inch

2 convict 4 inch

1 Cuban cichlid 2 inch

1 Blue Texas 3-4 inch

4 loach 2 inch

5 silver dollar 3 inch

4 rainbow cichlid 3 inch

1 silver arowana 5 inch

1 blue Acara 4 inches

Last edited:

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I put together my first SA tank with the exception of loaches. I have a 200 gallon 84x24x24 tank with 2 fx6 filters. All fish are juveniles and 4-7 inches with the exception of the pleco. I plan to move the tigers, arowana and pleco to a 300 gallon tank in the near future. Everyone is peaceful at the moment. Doing a 50 percent water change and vacuum every 6-7 days. Factoring growth, how long can I sustain a healthy environment with my current stock and maintenance? Amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.

Stock.

3 tiger oscars 6 inch

2 green terror 3-4 inch

2 firemouth 4 inch

1 pleco 7 inch

2 convict 4 inch

1 Cuban cichlid 2 inch

1 Blue Texas 3-4 inch

4 loach 2 inch

5 silver dollar 3 inch

4 rainbow cichlid 3 inch

1 silver arowana 5 inch

1 blue Acara 4 inches
The tank pretty overstocked for when the fish grow, I would get rid of the firemouths as they like to be in groups and the blue Texas and Cuban could become very aggressive as they grow. IMO the oscars will grow fast and fill out that tank as well as the aro so you won’t have long for a new tank. I would stick with either South American cichlids or Central American cichlids as they have different tempremants and require different conditions. To answer your question though I think you have about half a year to a year before the tanks becomes too much.

Reactions: neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016

Stock.

3 tiger oscars 6 inch

2 green terror 3-4 inch

2 firemouth 4 inch

1 pleco 7 inch

2 convict 4 inch

1 Cuban cichlid 2 inch

1 Blue Texas 3-4 inch

4 loach 2 inch

5 silver dollar 3 inch

4 rainbow cichlid 3 inch

1 silver arowana 5 inch

1 blue Acara 4 inches
Thats really overstocking it.
A silver arowana gets way to big.
The convicts are really territorial.
And then placing them with 12 cichlids looks to me as a big pile of aggression

Make a lot of hiding places but keep the upper waters open for swimming space. Im suprised that the ammonia is 0.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Th
The tank pretty overstocked for when the fish grow, I would get rid of the firemouths as they like to be in groups and the blue Texas and Cuban could become very aggressive as they grow. IMO the oscars will grow fast and fill out that tank as well as the aro so you won’t have long for a new tank. I would stick with either South American cichlids or Central American cichlids as they have different tempremants and require different conditions. To answer your question though I think you have about half a year to a year before the tanks becomes too much.
Thank you yes I’m moving the ca fish to a ca specific 125. Just using this as a temporary grow out over the next 6-8 months. I have lots of hiding places, blind spots and open water on top, probably why it’s so peaceful. The. 300 will be 2 oscars, blue Texas, Cuban and arrowana.

Reactions: Bertie07
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store