Are arowana cannibal

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Im just wondering if arowana can become cannibals. Alot of fish will eat the same fish if given opportunity especially with a large size difference.

I know when arowana take care of its babies, the male will hide the babies in its mouth for a certain period of time.

So my question is i have a 20” silver arowana’s and i wanted to add a jardini about 5”-6” big, do you think that the silver will eat the jardini. Someone told me that it should be fine since we havent heard of any case that a arowana being a cannibal. What do you guys think?

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Im just wondering if arowana can become cannibals. Alot of fish will eat the same fish if given opportunity especially with a large size difference.

I know when arowana take care of its babies, the male will hide the babies in its mouth for a certain period of time.

So my question is i have a 20” silver arowana’s and i wanted to add a jardini about 5”-6” big, do you think that the silver will eat the jardini. Someone told me that it should be fine since we havent heard of any case that a arowana being a cannibal. What do you guys think?
Jardini are too aggresive and since the silver arowana is triple the size it will beat it up and kill the jardini.
Dont do it

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Not sure if the silver would actually consume the smaller jar (though as others have posted I think it quite possible, esp. if it were hungry), but imo the odds are it would at least eventually beat it up badly or kill it, bit of a gamble that.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Kurt I’ve kept just about every single aro (prior to the ban and hot dogs) they usually do well together when their roughly the same size. 20” aro with a 6” jardini the big boy won’t necessarily eat it but 100% will attack it

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I have 3 silver aro in the tank together. My original one was 16” when i introduced a 14” and a 9”, no aggression happening even now. No chasing and fighting, all 3 live in harmony. I tried to put the 5” jar in them last week, it was there for 15-30 min but took it out cause the odoe pike was trying to chase it and maybe trying to eat it, but the 3 aro dont even care that the jar was there.

Another question has anybody ever tried putting a small aro with a bigger aro? Any type of aro.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store