Tank background color

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I Dont know if I should post this in general or setup ,but whatever lol

I've painted the back of a few tanks black for more natural setups and for privacy of fish and for the most part I really like it... I follow a guy on Instagram name polysaur_jurasicfish... or something along those lines, and he painted a tank white! To my surprise it looks stunning!

But that doesnt work for all types of fish (if many) it just dulls them out... my actual question though is what some of you think a suitable color for a tank housing my 2 flowerhorns would be.... the Male is a srd and the female is a golden base fader

I thought about a light blue as I've seen it before... I just really dont want to do another dark black tank especially since I dont have a strong light on the tank

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I’ve got a white background on my planted tank and it definitely pops with all the plants colors but may full fish colors...

Got a black background on my 200G that looks more subdued but makes fish colors standout more as expected...

Then have a 3D background on my 60G for a more natural look which i think could work for your FH if you wanted to go a different route???

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I did a light blue on mine and painted the floor to look like sand. (Outside not inside). It’s a bare bottom but I wanted it a little more attractive than the reflective glass. The colors pop especially with a full color spectrum led light. I have a beamswork on it and it gets the job done for an unbeatable price. Here are a couple photos of the fish against the background so you can form your own opinion 0D03EEC0-C88A-412C-96E7-69A9B5226FD1.jpegF08DD4AC-B00E-44FE-868C-34412C7ECEF3.jpegFFBB52FE-499E-4347-835F-7AF175C12238.jpegFC153CED-68D1-484B-82B8-632F8D164E23.jpegFFD58D18-86D6-456C-96D6-8F92362FA274.jpeg

58E3A3C8-CA7F-49D4-8002-9603CB15A61E.jpeg

Attachments

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I Dont know if I should post this in general or setup ,but whatever lol

I've painted the back of a few tanks black for more natural setups and for privacy of fish and for the most part I really like it... I follow a guy on Instagram name polysaur_jurasicfish... or something along those lines, and he painted a tank white! To my surprise it looks stunning!

But that doesnt work for all types of fish (if many) it just dulls them out... my actual question though is what some of you think a suitable color for a tank housing my 2 flowerhorns would be.... the Male is a srd and the female is a golden base fader

I thought about a light blue as I've seen it before... I just really dont want to do another dark black tank especially since I dont have a strong light on the tank
I have black now on my Flowerhorn's tank but have also used dark and light blue, they work/look just fine imo (and yeah white I wouldn't recommend for FH). But instead of painting tank background I like to use plastic 'future board' it's called here, taped onto the back. This way it's very easy to change if you get tired of a color or want to see if using another color will have a different effect:

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I’ve got a white background on my planted tank and it definitely pops with all the plants colors but may full fish colors...

Got a black background on my 200G that looks more subdued but makes fish colors standout more as expected...

Then have a 3D background on my 60G for a more natural look which i think could work for your FH if you wanted to go a different route???
I'd love to use a 3d background for a natural tank setup... flowerhorns tho being man made and almost impossible to make a nice setup with as they destroy everything (mine do anyways) it would be an expensive waste... thanks for the Reply though!

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I did a light blue on mine and painted the floor to look like sand. (Outside not inside). It’s a bare bottom but I wanted it a little more attractive than the reflective glass. The colors pop especially with a full color spectrum led light. I have a beamswork on it and it gets the job done for an unbeatable price. Here are a couple photos of the fish against the background so you can form your own opinion View attachment 1372178View attachment 1372180View attachment 1372181View attachment 1372182View attachment 1372183

View attachment 1372184
This tank looks phenomenal!
I actually really like how you painted the bottom to look like a nice bright sand! And it def helps me see how a light blue would look... I think I'd go a bit darker of a blue for the flowerhorns than you have here!

Thanks alot for the reply!

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
I have black now on my Flowerhorn's tank but have also used dark and light blue, they work/look just fine imo (and yeah white I wouldn't recommend for FH). But instead of painting tank background I like to use plastic 'future board' it's called here, taped onto the back. This way it's very easy to change if you get tired of a color or want to see if using another color will have a different effect:

View attachment 1372185
I've thought about doing this aswell... dont know why I'm stubborn about it but I just like having it painted lol
Feels like it's a more finished look I guess?
I dunno I'm on my way to work soon for a 1 am start and havnt had a full day off in a while so maybe I'm just talking nonsense lolol

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Thanks for the kind words! I wanted to try a super light blue since my last tank was a bit darker.
The sand paint was pretty easy but took a lot of paint. Here are the two colors used. The sand one is an actual textured finish. The color is “AA Stone Pebble”
I’m very happy with the way it turned out but I’m making the switch to real sand very soon. image.jpg

Reactions: Nilsafeller
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store