Can I add an Arowana to this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Those photos are what anyone familiar with that genus would consider fake news. lol The photos were all taken with the fish held out at arms length, a common deceptive technique used by fisherman who like to give the impression that their fish are MONSTERS, when in reality they are just average mature specimens.

Having said that, the largest aro (Scleropages formosus) that I have personally seen, was 31" TL, and that was taken with a tape measure, so yeah, while that fish could turn around without any issue, even a 550 gallon tank that it was in seemed kinda small.

I could be wrong about this as my experience with silvers is limited, but overall I would say that they are generally more active, and often more skittish, than adult Asian aros. That would/could make a huge difference in tank width and length. I have never seen an adult Asian aro that zooms around the tank at high speeds, even when in massive public display systems. Unless really spooked, they tend to mellow out with age.

I also don't think that a 240 gallon is ideal for an adult S. formosus.
Agreed they are classic fishermans poses. But they still look to be rather large fish. Especially if you compare them to the mans hands/fingers.

Ive read that scleropages can get between 30 and 40+ inches in the wild. I guess i was comparing how some opinions on general care can differ. The thought that tank raised silvers dont reach the 4ft mark because of the tank size alone could maybe also be applied to their aussie and asian cousins. Ive seen allot of people on here keeping them in tanks that range from 2ft to 30ish inches wide with no mention of them not reaching their wild sized potential because of said tanks.

Basically im saying how can we say silvers jump, die, dont reach their full size, ect ect when we dont say the same about aussie and asians.

Never kept adult aros but seems like pushing genetics aside and using the common tank is too small arguement doesnt make sense to me. Couldnt part of the equation be the cb fish just dont reach the same sizes as their wild relatives. This is common in some polypterus.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ive read that scleropages can get between 30 and 40+ inches in the wild.

Agreed, and as I already stated I have seen (actually held in my hands) a 31" specimen. (green)

But this thread isn't about Asian aros, it's about adding a "silver", to a 240. lol

Silvers get bigger, period. As Reefer just stated;

I think that since the Osteoglossum bicirrhosum get bigger, it would mean the tank has to be even bigger.

Seems like simple math, and common sense to me. And as I just stated;
I could be wrong about this as my experience with silvers is limited, but overall I would say that they are generally more active, and often more skittish, than adult Asian aros. That would/could make a huge difference in tank width and length. I have never seen an adult Asian aro that zooms around the tank at high speeds, even when in massive public display systems. Unless really spooked, they tend to mellow out with age.
It's not just about typical size, typical behavior/activity level in a glass box also makes a huge difference between one elongated large fish, and another. Ever see a 30" lungfish? Not exactly a zoom-zoom type of fish, but at the same time it can't turn with the same amount of flexibility as a silver aro.

If peeps want to keep silver aros in a 240 that's up to them, but it will be a tight fit, especially if it's a community tank with cichlids etc. The advice to the OP was spot on, anyone arguing with that advice needs to buy a clue.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No ones arguing with the advice given. Just saying that maybe the same could apply to them or others

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Show me a 4ft Asian aro, in the wild, in captivity, or anywhere else. lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I thought this thread was about silvers in a 240 gallon?
It does relate to the op. Since im suggesting genetics may play a role in why they may not reach 4ft. We good now ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Show me a 4ft Asian aro, in the wild, in captivity, or anywhere else. lol
Buy a plane ticket and fish for one lol. Im in delaware no asian aros to fish for. I never heard they get 4 ft btw

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Agreed.
My comment was only meant to be a generalised veiw and like most comments, lends itself to dissection. I believe most would understand my generalisation regardless of exceptions.
Ahh yes, my apologies, for some reason I took it as you had meant it as being black and white with no gray area.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No ones arguing with the advice given. Just saying that maybe the same could apply to them or others
What same? I don't see anyone suggesting that Asian aros (which are typically a good 10" shorter in body) should ideally be kept in a 240 gallon community set up. What are you even talking about? lol Of course genetics and potential size etc come into play, with every fish. But that doesn't remove the fact that silvers typically get bigger/longer, than Asian aros.

Basically im saying how can we say silvers jump, die, dont reach their full size, ect ect when we dont say the same about aussie and asians.
Who here is saying that? I suspect plenty of other species of aros are also abused in captivity, but the difference, and it's a BIG one, is silvers are dirt cheap in comparison to an Asian aro. Fish that are dirt cheap are easily replaced, kind of like an Oscar that gets funged up from spending years in a 55 gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store