Buying a old tank

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
If the seals appear excessively worn--cracked or falling apart--then i would say yes.

You should always make the seller prove the tank is water ready by demanding a fill test before buying.

Pics of the tank in question would go a long way.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Depends
Inspect it closely, ask questions like has it always been in use? If stored, where.
Its not good to store glass in the cold. Can cause the silicone to get brittle and ultimately leak.
Just inspect the seams closely, preferably filled to see that it holds water.

But you can quickly tell if a tank is worth getting. Does the glass have scratches? Glass is harder to scratch, so if it has scratches you can assume that's it's old has been used a lot. Same with the frame. If its ragged looking, cracks and such will give you clues of age of the tank.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
The seller also says there are a few scratches but that they are not visible when filled with water. Garage kept in Tulsa, 6 months not in use

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Looks to be in good shape. Still close inspection of the seams will tell the tale.
But just going off the pics looks like a nice set up. You don't see any gouges or marks in the stand that would come with multiple moves.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Folks, the silicone does not get brittle, but I won't go into that complicated subject here. Instead I will post a new thread.

It is very bad to store an empty tank outdoors and there I will tell you why!

Reactions: Lepisosteus

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Folks, the silicone does not get brittle, but I won't go into that complicated subject here. Instead I will post a new thread.

It is very bad to store an empty tank outdoors and there I will tell you why!
I think what jex meant was that the temperature swings cause a lot of expansion and contraction, and the silicone weakens eventually. I think brittle is a good way to describe it when it hardens, begins peeling and fraying off in chunks.

Reactions: Jexnell and Hank82
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store