New tank

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Well i was to excited to get this tank complete so i forgot to document when i got it home. Still some things to do before i can put water in it. Have to put the pondliner in it and fit a bulkhead for my beadsfilter. Drill some holes for returns from my showerfilters. Im picking up the liner this coming weekend. Then ill fit it in the tank and glueing it to the glass. Some drying time for tec7 wich im using then its time for water. Will post more pics of the rest of the progress of it.

The tanks measurments is 210x180/100x100cm so it holds roughly 3200L of water. Im gonna filter it with an econobead60 and three large showerfilter. Im add a picture of one of the showerfilters.

This tank is gonna house my five big rays, 1+1 wc cichla orinocoensis, one hypsibarbus wetmorei, one leptobarbus rubripinna, one clarotes laticeps and an panaque titan.
20190816_124921.jpg20190814_152829.jpg20190814_143532.jpg20190821_112720.jpg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
thanks! i am contemplating adding one to my wifes small koi container pond.
You should. They are unbeatable on biological filtration. With lower flow through them they are amazing for the BB and with higher flow through them they are amazing for mechanical filtration. I run an jebao dcs5000 on the one in the picture and the other two i run with jebao dcq10000 tuned to about 70% of its full flow.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What's tec7 and is it like our Dow 795 specialty silicone here in the US?

Have you used it before for this purpose?

It's hard to find something that would adhere to glass and rubber equally well.

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
What's tec7 and is it like our Dow 795 specialty silicone here in the US?

Have you used it before for this purpose?

It's hard to find something that would adhere to glass and rubber equally well.
From what i read up right now on dow 795 its about the same. Dont know how well dow 795 adheres to pvc but tec7 adheres quite nice on pvc. I personally havnt used tec7 but my buddu who built this tank from the beginning used tec7 to seal the pvcliner to the glass and seal around the bulkhead.

Tec7 is an amazing constructionsilicone that even hardens under water..

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I may be thought of as too anal but I'd not trust a seam of merely PVC liner glued with silicone to a glass window. Not long term anyway and especially not with boisterous fish in the tank.

I realize it is hard to drill a bunch of holes for bolts in the glass, acrylic in that regard is beyond better. Yet a clamp might be designed which would pinch the seam. Not that it'd be easy or simple to realize.

Perhaps the whole window might be placed into a frame, e.g., of stainless steel and siliconed in it... anyhow...

What I imagine are two strips of acrylic (acting as large, continuous washers), one on the outside of the glass window, the other is on the inside of the PVC liner. This multilayer sandwich acrylic | glass | silicone | liner | acrylic would be bolted. The same way I've done the 45' window on the carp exhibit, except my window was acrylic too.

The acrylic strips can be replaced with stainless steel strips or other inert, fish safe materials.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store