What to put between aquarium and stand?

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
i have a 96 x 48 x 24 acrylic and my tank MFG told me to put 1/2 foam insulation the pink stuff from home depot. if it is glass you dont need anything

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I believe Birchrking is saying you need a piece of plywood or similar as the top of the stand that will support the entire bottom of your acrylic tank
exactly.
It may be hard to find the exact dimensions of 96Lx24W.
its easy to cut with sturdy scissors or razor knife.
Do I need a yoga mat?
not if the piece of plywood/stand is nice and level front to back and side to side. also if you use screws to attach the plywood to the stand then those can become contact points overtime so a bit of foam will help with that too.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
exactly.

its easy to cut with sturdy scissors or razor knife.

not if the piece of plywood/stand is nice and level front to back and side to side. also if you use screws to attach the plywood to the stand then those can become contact points overtime so a bit of foam will help with that too.
you need something between the plywood and tank for an acrylic tank. especially if it is a wood stand because it will settle over time. you need the foam to take up the gaps. my stand is metal and the tank MFG still told me i had to use the foam. it is $15 why not use it definitely wont hurt anything

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
my stand is metal and the tank MFG still told me i had to use the foam.
obviously metal wont settle. what the manufacturer is worried about is the stand not being level and the foam can take that slack up a little. I've had a few large tanks that didn't have foam under them just plywood and no issues. the 150g has been up and running for close to 10 years with no foam but i did recently put foam under it too.

Reactions: Rocksor

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
obviously metal wont settle. what the manufacturer is worried about is the stand not being level and the foam can take that slack up a little. I've had a few large tanks that didn't have foam under them just plywood and no issues. the 150g has been up and running for close to 10 years with no foam but i did recently put foam under it too.
it is $15 why not and metal dose not settle but is dose deflect. it will only take a small amount of deflection to put stress on the seams also will help where the plywood has knots too . not a risk i am willing to take if it is my tank and house i will put foam every time. for acrylic only. i know people that did not quarantine there fish for years and then they got a sick one destroyed there tank had to start over and now they quarantine ever time other people still dont quarantine there fish. just because you got away with something for years dont make it right.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
So I though I read on here that foam under acrylic tanks is a bad idea and it can cause stress the seams of the tank. When the foam compresses the bottom of the tank can bow and pop a seam. I will be building my stand very soon for my 450 and would like to know this as well. Lepisosteus Lepisosteus maybe you could shed some lite on this I thought I remember a issue with someone’s tank and you chimed in.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
So I though I read on here that foam under acrylic tanks is a bad idea and it can cause stress the seams of the tank. When the foam compresses the bottom of the tank can bow and pop a seam. I will be building my stand very soon for my 450 and would like to know this as well. Lepisosteus Lepisosteus maybe you could shed some lite on this I thought I remember a issue with someone’s tank and you chimed in.
can you post a link to that? it is ez for me like i said the tank MFG told me i had to or they would not warranty the tank. i dont get how it would put more stress on the seems. maybe if it was cut smaller then the tank?

Reactions: TheWolfman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store