Help Stocking a 65?

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Hey guys, first post of the year. So I just recently set up a 67.3 gallon tank (as stated by aqadvisor) 48 in by 18 in by 18 in and would like to know how to stock it. I was really looking forward to being able to keep decently size cichlids/ other fish from the new world. I have recently discovered "Rio Nanay Angelfish" a variant or p. Scalare that looks like altums. In a tank of this size, which will have flourite gravel, driftwood and other plants (looking for suggestions). Heated by a 300w Hyagger heater and a 100w Aqueon one. Will also have an aqua clear 20, Top Fin power filter 20 and a sponge filter meant for 90 gallons. The tank will also not have a lid. At first, I wanted to keep it biotope-ish with a pair or group of the angelfish and some biotodoma Cupido. But after further research decided the cupids are too hard to keep for me, only been in this for 2 years and only had a 20. I had also looked into geophagous orange head Tapajos but I have gravel so no.

But in this tank what would be an ideal stocking? I would like to keep it as SA or Rio Nanay as possible. My preferences are

-Rio Nanay Angelfish 2 - 5

Bottom
-Geophagus Tapajos (Ideal number)
- Maybe a school of Bolivian rams as they are similar (5)

Others
-Schools of fish (Not a fan of one large school)
- Plants at most medium light and easy care. I will not be adding fertz or co2, Does anyone know the name of the tall background plant that looks like tall grass?
- Other compatible fish that will go well with my other fish

Willing to go outside of SA theme but no harlequins :)

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
That's a lot of fish in the longterm for a 65g. I would stick with 5 Angelfish as the cichlids since the geos can uproot your plants, and prefer sand to sift in. You could mix and match a school of differnet cories for the bottom (at least 10 of them) , leaving the angelfish as the centerpiece.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Cities would probably not be an option as I have gravel for a substrate. But could I do a pair of Angel's and maybe 5 bolivians or 5 angels and 5 bolivians and call it a day?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I believe the plant youre referring to is valisneria or usually just called val.

5 angels could work, but i really think youd be better off with just 1 and a bunch of smaller fish around them. What ive experienced is that a group of angels will frequently maul each others fins when kept in a tank that size, and if one if them is particularly nasty it will even pick the others off one at a time. With just one, you could keep a group of rams, couple different groups of tetras, and a group of cories, all of which would shoal or school to some degree.

I would stay away from geos in this type tank.

Reactions: Zanzag

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
I would prefer not to have cories because my gravel can hurt them but could I have maybe a breeding pair of Angel's with 4 or 5 Bolivian rams and maybe 2 schools of 8 to 12 tetras?

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Alright but suggestions on plants and tetras? Could I fit a bn pleco if I limit the schools to 8 of each? And I will be getting peruvian Angel's bought at dime size so how would I ensure a breeding pair or would that not matter?

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
How about 5 angels and some Gouramis??? Not aggressive ones but like some peaceful, colorful gouramis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store