New camera - Learning to use Nikon D 5600

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Great job. You can see how far you’ve already come from the first photos you’ve taken. The last batch, and in particular the Green Terror, are excellent. What kind of off camera flash are you using? Some have a setting that will allow you to adjust the spread of light coming out of the flash head. Consider buying a diffuser. Sounds like you were already doing that by pointing the flash into a cooler. Putting the flash on top of the tank was the right move. There are lots of diffusers, my suggestion would be a Gary Fong Lightsphere...about $40. It helps focus the light, but also diffuses its delivery.

Sounds like you have a workaround to achieve the black background. Snapseed is a great ap. I use it all the time with my Iphone shots. DSLR’s use through the lens (TTL) metering. Your camera can change how that is applied by changing the focus options. The factory setting uses points across the entire frame. This takes in both the subject and the surroundings. You can dial down how much your camera is considering by changing to spot focus. That means it uses the fish...or whatever you are focusing on...to send the appropriate amount of light from the flash. Depending on your settings (ISO, aperture nd shutter speed) this will give you a leg up on the black background. What’s happening is that your camera is recording the image from the flash and ignoring the ambient light in the tank.

Suggestion above is solid. Start shooting in RAW. Change the settings in the camera to shoot RAW along with Fine JPEG. It will give you two images. The short explanation is that a JPEG‘s are compressed files that contain fewer data than RAW. RAW files contain all of the dignitable information that your camera is capable of recording. Way more latitude on what you can do with an image.

Keep up the good work. You‘re off to a great start. ;)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Great job. You can see how far you’ve already come from the first photos you’ve taken. The last batch, and in particular the Green Terror, are excellent. What kind of off camera flash are you using? Some have a setting that will allow you to adjust the spread of light coming out of the flash head. Consider buying a diffuser. Sounds like you were already doing that by pointing the flash into a cooler. Putting the flash on top of the tank was the right move. There are lots of diffusers, my suggestion would be a Gary Fong Lightsphere...about $40. It helps focus the light, but also diffuses its delivery.

Sounds like you have a workaround to achieve the black background. Snapseed is a great ap. I use it all the time with my Iphone shots. DSLR’s use through the lens (TTL) metering. Your camera can change how that is applied by changing the focus options. The factory setting uses points across the entire frame. This takes in both the subject and the surroundings. You can dial down how much your camera is considering by changing to spot focus. That means it uses the fish...or whatever you are focusing on...to send the appropriate amount of light from the flash. Depending on your settings (ISO, aperture nd shutter speed) this will give you a leg up on the black background. What’s happening is that your camera is recording the image from the flash and ignoring the ambient light in the tank.

Suggestion above is solid. Start shooting in RAW. Change the settings in the camera to shoot RAW along with Fine JPEG. It will give you two images. The short explanation is that a JPEG‘s are compressed files that contain fewer data than RAW. RAW files contain all of the dignitable information that your camera is capable of recording. Way more latitude on what you can do with an image.

Keep up the good work. You‘re off to a great start. ;)
Thank you for the advice!
My off camera flash is Focus FC-SF3000
It has a normal mode and a slave mode. The slave settings are s1-s4.
To be honest I’d don’t even know what that means and I haven’t read up on it yet.
On my most recent pictures I haven’t been using a flash at all. I’ve been working on adjusting my camera settings to get the lighting the way I want.
I will need to try shooting in raw. I’ve just been hesitant since it will take up more memory space. I will give it a try though:)
Thank you!

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Thank you for the advice!
My off camera flash is Focus FC-SF3000
It has a normal mode and a slave mode. The slave settings are s1-s4.
To be honest I’d don’t even know what that means and I haven’t read up on it yet.
On my most recent pictures I haven’t been using a flash at all. I’ve been working on adjusting my camera settings to get the lighting the way I want.
I will need to try shooting in raw. I’ve just been hesitant since it will take up more memory space. I will give it a try though:)
Thank you!
S1 - S4 are more than likely channels. Your master flash has to synchronize with the slave. Both need to be on the same channel. Using a flash and shooting in RAW are the game changers. Good luck.

Reactions: MrsE88 and kno4te

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
A couple recent pictures. 9638EF19-AE6E-4DF9-A7ED-A747EA945135.jpegD8957D3B-B49B-4691-82D8-4D9885F04830.jpeg
I’m trying to take pictures without zooming to the max that the lens allows. If I understand correctly, you lose some clarity that way?
Anyway, these are a couple favorites of mine.
I’m really excited and eagerly awaiting a new(used) lens to come in the mail! It’s supposedly a really good lens that will hopefully give me nice sharp pictures?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
My early birthday present came today! It was so hard to let it sit and warm up from being outside after being delivered ?
1A5879EC-2522-4B44-83CC-436517990E24.jpegCE168C83-9398-4A2D-964F-B477996D8A80.jpeg
These are my favorite two pictures so far.
FD40C3D2-E4C1-4232-A6F3-19EF002A47ED.jpeg
0C176ED3-A34C-416B-B7A6-53492F49F9EF.jpeg
I can’t wait to play around with it some more! It’s definitely different then my other lenses so it’s taking some getting use to, but I love it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store