Flowerhorn filtration

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 6 inch flowerhorn in it. I have a penguin 350 and whisper 40. Looking to change up my filtration. Both hobs are old and loud. I've only ran hobs in the past but am open to anything. Anyone have some ideas?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I think hobs are better (by my preferences), so aquaclear or tidal 75/110. Easy to access media, affordable, bacteria doesn't die so fast on power failure. May be add 2 on a 4 feet long tank. As your fish gets bigger it might be better to move him to 75 gallon.

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
I think hobs are better (by my preferences), so aquaclear or tidal 75/110. Easy to access media, affordable, bacteria doesn't die so fast on power failure. May be add 2 on a 4 feet long tank. As your fish gets bigger it might be better to move him to 75 gallon.
Thanks man. Always good to get your opinion!

Reactions: Ruturaj

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
+1

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I was thinking about trying the cascade 1000 or 1200. Have you tried these?
Ive done quite a bit of research and that’s what I’d do. I’d combo that with an aqua clear and your set. Currently don’t have any tanks. I’m looking to get back into it soon and setup a spare 75. If price isn’t an issue at all I’d go with an eheim canister but those our bloody expensive.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Golden Rule: Any tank you have set up should always have two filters. In the event one has a problem, and shuts down or is not filtering properly, the other can support the tank as you get the problem fixed. I have been running Ehiem 2217s Canisters for the last 12 years or so and I honestly don't have a single complaint. Canisters hold such an amazing amount of Bio Filter that I do gravel cleaning with 30-60% water changes weekly and almost never see a bacteria bloom. HOB are great, especially the big AquaClears. They are awesome. but I'm a hands down canister for life guy now, especially with bigger tanks. I only have to service my canisters once every 8-12 months. A few years back, life got crazy busy, and they went 27 months without being cleaned and all my water parameters were still spot on.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Golden Rule: Any tank you have set up should always have two filters. In the event one has a problem, and shuts down or is not filtering properly, the other can support the tank as you get the problem fixed. I have been running Ehiem 2217s Canisters for the last 12 years or so and I honestly don't have a single complaint. Canisters hold such an amazing amount of Bio Filter that I do gravel cleaning with 30-60% water changes weekly and almost never see a bacteria bloom. HOB are great, especially the big AquaClears. They are awesome. but I'm a hands down canister for life guy now, especially with bigger tanks. I only have to service my canisters once every 8-12 months. A few years back, life got crazy busy, and they went 27 months without being cleaned and all my water parameters were still spot on.
2217 are legends, I so wanted to get one for my 220 gallon 10 years ago. Never stocked 220 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store