Best pellet for flowerhorn

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Omega One Veggie Kelp ingredients:

Salmon, Whole Herring, Wheat Flour, Whole Shrimp, Kelp, Wheat Germ, Spirulina, Pea Protein, Marigold Extract, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Ethoxyquin (Preservative), BHT (Preservative), BHA (Preservative), Natural And Artificial Colors, Ascorbyl Monophosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Niacin, Inositol, Folic Acid, Biotin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
I replied after looking at the same list. It's not a good veggie pallet. 1st, 2nd are fish meal, 3rd and 6th is wheat, 4th is shrimp, 5th and 7th are actual marine veggies.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
I replied after looking at the same list. It's not a good veggie pallet. 1st, 2nd are fish meal, 3rd and 6th is wheat, 4th is shrimp, 5th and 7th are actual marine veggies.
Yeah... I agree. But it's too late. I already bought the stuff and dude likes it. Gonna feed it until it runs out; will get something better later down the road. It's ok, I'm not gonna sweat it. Thanks, I should have asked on here before buying it.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm fine with it and so is my little guy, so I'll finish it off eventually and find something else. Will be a little while though got a whole can to go through and it's mixed in sparingly.
Later saw that you edited the comment and added this part, I am not saying it's completely bad pallet or anything, just that it's not good veggie pallet.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Omega changed the formula in some of their various pellets a year or so back. Added more wheat, and started using pea protein. Shrimp pellets and their Veggie Kelp formula for sure. Myself and other members here noticed this. This wasn't to improve the quality of their food, it was to spare production costs. Not good.

Hikari Gold has always been a lower quality food. Will it get the job done? Yes. Is it a high quality food? Nope.

I don't have hundreds of tanks and fish, and can afford to feed high quality foods to all of my pets, including my fish. The greatest monthly household expense in our house is my wife. :)

• Haha

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Later saw that you edited the comment and added this part, I am not saying it's completely bad pallet or anything, just that it's not good veggie pallet.
Sometimes my finger likes to hit submit/save faster than my brain likes to work, which is in slow motion ?

• Haha

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Omega changed the formula in some of their various pellets a year or so back. Added more wheat, and started using pea protein. Shrimp pellets and their Veggie Kelp formula for sure. Myself and other members here noticed this. This wasn't to improve the quality of their food, it was to spare production costs. Not good.

Hikari Gold has always been a lower quality food. Will it get the job done? Yes. Is it a high quality food? Nope.

I don't have hundreds of tanks and fish, and can afford to feed high quality foods to all of my pets, including my fish. The greatest monthly household expense in our house is my wife. :)
How many tanks do you have RD.?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Currently 3, but just recently shut down a 90 gallon so only 2 125's running now.

As far as floating/sinking, just feed what works best for you & your fish. Some fish are bottom feeders, some mid level, and some prefer surface feeding. With many species this will depend on their eye placement, and how they have evolved over many years in the wild. Some fish simply prefer one type vs the other, not a big deal as long as the food is nutritious, and your fish readily eat it.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Currently 3, but just recently shut down a 90 gallon so only 2 125's running now.

As far as floating/sinking, just feed what works best for you & your fish. Some fish are bottom feeders, some mid level, and some prefer surface feeding. With many species this will depend on their eye placement, and how they have evolved over many years in the wild. Some fish simply prefer one type vs the other, not a big deal as long as the food is nutritious, and your fish readily eat it.
All are CA/SA cichlids?

I told jspilo to starve so that his fish will eat sinking pallets as well, I assume NLS float is very similar/same to cichlid formula but there is no floating alternative to algaemax.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, NLS float is very similar to cichlid formula, and no, I don't think that there is a floating AlgaeMax formula, but don't quote me on that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store