What type of flowerhorn to get?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Haha yeah I've just been really picky about it lol. I want to try to bring out the best Gene's possible in the fry so I've been looking for something that would compliment my females the most. Mainly looking to get allot more red and pearling while also being super koky. It doesn't help that most are trying to sell 3 inch fish when my 2 girls are at 4in and 6.5in.

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
Haha yeah I've just been really picky about it lol. I want to try to bring out the best Gene's possible in the fry so I've been looking for something that would compliment my females the most. Mainly looking to get allot more red and pearling while also being super koky. It doesn't help that most are trying to sell 3 inch fish when my 2 girls are at 4in and 6.5in.
Yeah true. Gotta find a big boy. I got my srd at .y mfs at 5 inches.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah true. Gotta find a big boy. I got my srd at .y mfs at 5 inches.
Yeah sadly I don't have that luxury anymore. All of my lfs don't carry FH's anymore. I'd prefer to get a male roughly around 8 inches but that don't look like it's gonna happen. If I have to I might just get a 5-6in male and try to re-home the bigger gal. Who knows I should be able to get about $60 for the big girl even tho she hasn't laid any eggs yet. What do you think if be able to sell this girl for?

cameringo_20200213_205217.jpg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Yeah sadly I don't have that luxury anymore. All of my lfs don't carry FH's anymore. I'd prefer to get a male roughly around 8 inches but that don't look like it's gonna happen. If I have to I might just get a 5-6in male and try to re-home the bigger gal. Who knows I should be able to get about $60 for the big girl even tho she hasn't laid any eggs yet. What do you think if be able to sell this girl for?

View attachment 1405878
Id keep her man it’s a rare to have a female with such as nice nuchal hump like that along with her other quality features.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Id keep her man it’s a rare to have a female with such as nice nuchal hump like that.
Yeah she is very nice it's just I'd like to be able to use the tank for her lil sis but I don't know if I could trust them together given the difference in size. It also makes it a pain trying to find a male big enough to breed both of em as she's already bigger then my hand. I also wish she wasn't so skittish and stubborn about eating, refuses to eat while ppl are in the room. The only upside is she reminds me so much of how her father looked like.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Yeah she is very nice it's just I'd like to be able to use the tank for her lil sis but I don't know if I could trust them together given the difference in size. It also makes it a pain trying to find a male big enough to breed both of em as she's already bigger then my hand. I also wish she wasn't so skittish and stubborn about eating, refuses to eat while ppl are in the room. The only upside is she reminds me so much of how her father looked like.
Might have to change things up to make her more comfortable. There is a reason she is being skittish. And again very rare fish with monster kok genes and straight flowerline.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Might have to change things up to make her more comfortable. There is a reason she is being skittish. And again very rare fish with monster kok genes and straight flowerline.
Yeah she gets it all from her father, I'll include a few pics of him. The only thing she got from her mother is just a tiny bit of faded edges on her fins. Yeah her father had a very nice flowerline and a baseball size kok on his head. The flowerline was what made me get him to begin with.

IMG_20181006_050653803.jpg

IMG_20181006_045952305.jpg

20181002_010112-COLLAGE.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store