Filtration for 220 Gallon Help?!

agent1207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
I newly setup a 220 Gallon aquarium recently, and am new to this whole large aquarium game. I upgraded from my old 100 gallon since fish were getting larger. Fish include male motoro singray, 2 NTT datnoids, 1 red oscar. And plan on doing 50-40% water changes weekly. I currently have,

1. Marineland Emperor 400 Specs, 400GPH rated for 80 Gallon
- 2 trays with 500grams of bio media (porous ceramic rings)
- 2 coarse sponges on one side
- swapable carbon/filterfloss
- 2 biowheels

2. Fluval 407 Specs, 383GPH rated for 50-100 Gallon
- 3 Media trays with 2500grams total bio media (porous ceramic rings)
- 2 coarse sponges in tray with filter floss
- 4 long medium sponges

Question is is this enough filtration for the larger water volume?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I newly setup a 220 Gallon aquarium recently, and am new to this whole large aquarium game. I upgraded from my old 100 gallon since fish were getting larger. Fish include male motoro singray, 2 NTT datnoids, 1 red oscar. And plan on doing 50-40% water changes weekly. I currently have,

1. Marineland Emperor 400 Specs, 400GPH rated for 80 Gallon
- 2 trays with 500grams of bio media (porous ceramic rings)
- 2 coarse sponges on one side
- swapable carbon/filterfloss
- 2 biowheels

2. Fluval 407 Specs, 383GPH rated for 50-100 Gallon
- 3 Media trays with 2500grams total bio media (porous ceramic rings)
- 2 coarse sponges in tray with filter floss
- 4 long medium sponges

Question is is this enough filtration for the larger water volume?

Tbh no one will be able to give a concrete answer too many variables. I suggest after aquarium is fully Cycled test your parameters and add more bio media or another filter if necessary to keep parameters stable consistently. With a Oscar and Stingray more water may have to be changed to help due to those species being the largest waste producers.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tbh no one will be able to give a concrete answer too many variables. I suggest after aquarium is fully Cycled test your parameters and add more bio media or another filter if necessary to keep parameters stable consistently. With a Oscar and Stingray more water may have to be changed to help due to those species being the largest waste producers.
Also as the fish grow bioload will increase if you didn't know this already.

Reactions: TheWolfman

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have a 150 African set up. I am doing 75% water changes every 3-5 days now. Recently increased as weekly was not keeping up with the nitrates as fish get larger. I run a fluval 6 and 2 Eheim classics. From the sounds of it your filtration and possibility water changes are light or will soon be. Just monitor your numbers for about a month and adjust accordingly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store