Flowerhorn Color

Khalid2325

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
Can anyone please let me know why there is no color in my Flowerhorn. I’m giving him every possible food and also I change the water frequently so the water is always clean

B92F3387-19A9-4860-8159-B0AE1F40F530.jpeg

FEBB6C51-15DC-4E1A-9CA3-042FF0C83DA4.jpeg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Can anyone please let me know why there is no color in my Flowerhorn. I’m giving him every possible food and also I change the water frequently so the water is always clean

View attachment 1410622

View attachment 1410623
A FH is just like any other cichlid. It will develop more color over time as it matures. You'll have to be patient with it, it won't instantly color up no matter what ya do. Personally I wouldn't be disappointed with how it is already. It has an awesome highlight around it's flowerline already even at such a small size. Besides I'd be more concerned with it's personality more then color. A FH without a personality is just another colorful fish just like any other of the thousands of species of fish, a FH's personality is what seperates it from all the others.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

Khalid2325

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
A FH is just like any other cichlid. It will develop more color over time as it matures. You'll have to be patient with it, it won't instantly color up no matter what ya do. Personally I wouldn't be disappointed with how it is already. It has an awesome highlight around it's flowerline already even at such a small size. Besides I'd be more concerned with it's personality more then color. A FH without a personality is just another colorful fish just like any other of the thousands of species of fish, a FH's personality is what seperates it from all the others.
Thank you very much and one more thing there is a big white spot on its body at the end. If u can see there is a gap between the black spots in between. May be some other finish bite him before I bring I don’t know exactly. But there is a big black white spot and also at the front Half body is a little yellowish color

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thank you very much and one more thing there is a big white spot on its body at the end. If u can see there is a gap between the black spots in between. May be some other finish bite him before I bring I don’t know exactly. But there is a big black white spot and also at the front Half body is a little yellowish color
It could be a bite mark that's still healing or it could be that he has some fader in him. My 2 girls I got atm are part fader but one had the Gene being dominant while the other only has one faded spot on its anal fin. I'd atleast give him some API stress coat to help with him healing that bite in his tail fin and if it is a bite mark on his side it'll help with that as well. I'll also post some pics of my 2 girls to show ya what I mean about the fader gene. The big girl with the red dragon color has only got the very end of its anal fin faded while the rest kept it's original color. The other female is her sister from the same batch of fry and parents but ended up being almost completely faded instead while keeping some color in it's fin edges.

cameringo_20200321_062324.jpg

IMG_20200318_104434.jpg

Khalid2325

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
It could be a bite mark that's still healing or it could be that he has some fader in him. My 2 girls I got atm are part fader but one had the Gene being dominant while the other only has one faded spot on its anal fin. I'd atleast give him some API stress coat to help with him healing that bite in his tail fin and if it is a bite mark on his side it'll help with that as well. I'll also post some pics of my 2 girls to show ya what I mean about the fader gene. The big girl with the red dragon color has only got the very end of its anal fin faded while the rest kept it's original color. The other female is her sister from the same batch of fry and parents but ended up being almost completely faded instead while keeping some color in it's fin edges.

View attachment 1410625

View attachment 1410626
And last think u would like to ask what do u think it’s a male or female

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Color has to do with Genetics and food. Just food won't do much. Seems like your fish won't get much color but it will surely improve as it grows.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
And last thing what do u think it’s a male or female or I need to send the picture of the vent.
Depends on how big the fish is. Generally if the fish is 4in or bigger you can vent it and get a positive ID on gender. If it's smaller then 4in it is too young yet to tell. Honestly the best way to tell gender is by venting. Personally if I had to guess I would say it's probably a male do to the kok on its head but that isn't a fool proof method either as with my big girl I have has a decent sized kok as well. I actually though she was a he for so many months until I decided to take it out and vent it and for out that he was actually a she in the end. So if it is 4in already go ahead and post a pic of the vent and we'll help ya ID it's gender.

Khalid2325

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
Depends on how big the fish is. Generally if the fish is 4in or bigger you can vent it and get a positive ID on gender. If it's smaller then 4in it is too young yet to tell. Honestly the best way to tell gender is by venting. Personally if I had to guess I would say it's probably a male do to the kok on its head but that isn't a fool proof method either as with my big girl I have has a decent sized kok as well. I actually though she was a he for so many months until I decided to take it out and vent it and for out that he was actually a she in the end. So if it is 4in already go ahead and post a pic of the vent and we'll help ya ID it's gender.
No it’s just 2 inches now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store