110g predatory ideas?

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
I’m thinking of setting up a 110g 398L 59”x19”x25” 150x50x65cm tank, with a fluval fx6

I’m looking for a single or pair of larger personable relatively active aggressive / semi aggressive fish my current ideas are
- 2 oscars (start at 6, give 4 back to store)
- 1/2 flowerhorn (if they get along)
- black wolf fish (Hoplias curupira)
- red wolf fish (Erythrinus erythrinus)

would these options be okay and does anyone have other suggestions? Only one I’m against is a Jaguar as I don’t want my mate to feel like I’m copying him

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
You've got lots of options with that size tank. I was going to suggest a jag before I read the rest of your post.
Maybe a Midas or red devil? Or if you can track one down in oz even a pure trimac instead of a flowerhorn. Another option could be a frontons community, I've noticed they are pretty cheap when small these days but I might not sure what sort of personality they have.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I just remembered, if you are in Victoria there's been some Cuban cichlids around lately, something different than what you normally see in the shops.

Reactions: Peach02

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
You've got lots of options with that size tank. I was going to suggest a jag before I read the rest of your post.
Maybe a Midas or red devil? Or if you can track one down in oz even a pure trimac instead of a flowerhorn. Another option could be a frontons community, I've noticed they are pretty cheap when small these days but I might not sure what sort of personality they have.
thanks for the ideas I’ll look into them , do you think the ones I Currently have would be okay?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
thanks for the ideas I’ll look into them , do you think the ones I Currently have would be okay?
I don't know anything about wolf fish sorry, not sure I've even seen one in real life.
I doubt 2 flowerhorns would get along, I've only ever seen them kept solo.
As for the oscars, Jexnell Jexnell is a bit of an expert, he had some adventures trying to get them to coexist, I'm sure he will be happy to offer some advice when he sees this.
A lot of shops ship now so being in another state might not be an issue if you can't find what you need locally, do some googling interstate and if there's anything down here that interests you let me know and I might be able to help.
How long until you get the tank up and running?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Get a pair of high grade Red Terrors! Not the hardest to breed, which could give you a small profit for care costs, beautiful, and full of personality

Peach02

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2019
Australia
I don't know anything about wolf fish sorry, not sure I've even seen one in real life.
I doubt 2 flowerhorns would get along, I've only ever seen them kept solo.
As for the oscars, Jexnell Jexnell is a bit of an expert, he had some adventures trying to get them to coexist, I'm sure he will be happy to offer some advice when he sees this.
A lot of shops ship now so being in another state might not be an issue if you can't find what you need locally, do some googling interstate and if there's anything down here that interests you let me know and I might be able to help.
How long until you get the tank up and running?
Flowerhorns would be male and female to test if they would get along but I’d be ready to take one out if needed.
shipping in fish shops is still small in Australia so it may be difficult to find a shop that would ship but it’s only the wolf fish that will be hard to find
Not sure on time till the tank, I’m going to setup a reef tank first then this one but it’s good to plan ahead :)
Thanks for the information

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store